PDA

View Full Version : Don't get suncream on your paintwork - it might not come off!

audiix
28-05-2010, 11:25 AM
Hi all,

Just a cautionary tale really - probably relates to all cars, not just the A4.

I got my A4 new in May last year. About 2 weeks after I got the car, the littlun' managed to get Factor 50 suncream on various panels - not 'neat', but just hand prints, arm prints etc...

I wasn't around when it happened (overseas trip), and by the time I saw this, it had been on there for a week.

I managed to get rid of most of it, but some marks remained.

Nearly a year on, these sun cream marks are even more visible than when it first happened (one example in the attached photo - see the 'ghosting' ?). Personally, I think sun cream manufacturers should warn you about this! I know someone whose leather sofa was affected in a similar way.

I've tried polishing and t-cutting, but someone I know with 'an expert eye' reckons the blemish is actually below the lacquer, and on the paint itself - i.e. no amount of polishing will actually get rid of the underlying problem.

The moral: Important as it is to keep your kids protected from UV during the summer, don't let them near your nice shiny, new car :aargh4: !!

Cheers.

Steve.

Sportwag
29-05-2010, 09:10 PM
The fact it remained on the paint for a while (poss in the sun) may have resulted in it etching through the lacquer. Would still be inclined to get a 2nd opinion though - a valeter may be able to remove it (checking paint depth whilst doing it) or "improve" the appearence. Have a look on the Detailing World website and check to see whether there is a pro valeter in your area - if expensive, you could just get the affected panels done.

Same thing happens when bird droppings are left on the paint for any length of time - looks worse on dark colours though.

Alan02
30-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Same as not leaving wax on the paintwork for too long in sunlight as it `burns` into the paint....as suncream.

tlionhart
30-05-2010, 12:07 PM
just out of curiosity whilst your on the subject of marking the paintwork, what about water marks? Water marks from say a fresh water tap from washing. I know they leave water droplet prints, but surely this comes off on the next wax? Also a heavily, regular waxed car shouldn't be badly effected? Someone able to please point me in the right direction here. My car was covered in fresh bird c**p and bits of leaves from a nearby tree, so I jet washed it this morning at 7am on my way home from work. I didn't dry it off, but just wondering will I be harming the paint by just bringing her straight home and leaving her to dry? She does have a lot of high quality wax applied.

Sportwag
30-05-2010, 01:59 PM
just out of curiosity whilst your on the subject of marking the paintwork, what about water marks? Water marks from say a fresh water tap from washing. I know they leave water droplet prints, but surely this comes off on the next wax? Also a heavily, regular waxed car shouldn't be badly effected? Someone able to please point me in the right direction here. My car was covered in fresh bird c**p and bits of leaves from a nearby tree, so I jet washed it this morning at 7am on my way home from work. I didn't dry it off, but just wondering will I be harming the paint by just bringing her straight home and leaving her to dry? She does have a lot of high quality wax applied.

Water marks can also etch into the paintwork. I use a DI Resin filter with a pressure washer for the final rinse stage - I have Lava Grey and the car is virtually water mark free after washing (even in direct sunlight). To prevent water marks without a DI Resin Filter, you need to dry the car (drying towel or good microfibre) using some Quick Detailer or try Autoglym Aqua wax which also offers some protection.

mkc
04-06-2010, 12:22 PM
I use a huge Microfibre towel, just lay it out on the car and lift off, no dragging it across the paintwork. Then load up with Carklack and Collonite wax followed by Chemical Guys Clay Lube and quick detailer. Neighbours think Im having an affair with the car as Im outside more than in but at least my car looks clean.

Back on topic, Ive got suncream on the leather in the back of mine and its had the same sort of effect. Cleaned it off but its been soaked up by the leather and just annoys me now. Bloody kids climbing all over the back seats up into their own child seats.

Youll probably needs a machine polish to remove it from the clearcoat and like someone else said above, a good detailer will measure the paint first. I cant see how its gone below the clearcoat, it has probably just burned through part of it.

Ive also got bird muck on the bonnet that I cant remove after that was left on there whilst I was in traffic. Etched the paint. Doesnt make you feel any better but I think its happened to many of us. I keep wet wipes in the car now to get it off as soon as I can.

Bratty
04-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Why do the manufacturers not cover the interior and exterior with Factor 50 suncream, that way the staining is constant. Yet another AUDI`ism.

Dunk

audiix
04-06-2010, 11:11 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Luckily for me it's a company motor and it goes back in 2 years. Still a bummer though, and it's surprising that something you put on your kids to protect them will do this! A lesson learnt for next time !

Cheers.

keithwigley
05-06-2010, 11:44 AM
I leant on the hard top of my MX5 with factor 40 in my arms. Just about stripped the paint off in the affected area. £300 to have it resprayed.