PDA

View Full Version : Climate Control/No cool air

Scrabble1
27-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Hi, I have a 1996 A6 1.9tdi estate and cannot get any cool air from the climate control unit no matter how low I set the temperature; the air just comes in the same temperature as outside the car.
There is pressure in the system (I have prodded the valve on the rad with a screwdriver).
About 5 or 6 years ago I replaced what I think is called the temperature regulator flap motor. The symptoms may have been the same but I am not sure. It was so fiddly and time consuming that I don't want to take it apart unless I am confident this is likely to be the problem.
Anyone got any advise.

Dave.

windy1978
28-05-2010, 01:01 PM
I have the same problem, I went to Halfords and they checked the gas pressure and it was low. The check is free but I don't reccomend that you let them recharge it as it is expensive for what you get. They do sell a recharge kit but it costs £50 but that gives you a lot of gas to top up your car mutliple times, once you empty the can return it to them and get £10 back.

Hope this helps.

hamma
28-05-2010, 01:55 PM
you can check if the pressure is the responsible or not very easily.
sometimes it looks like the system has enough pressure, but it is not always true. to be sure, you have to unplug the low pressure switch and short circuit it, turn your engine on, and set the temperature to low. you must get the compressor to engage.

if it doesnt run, than it is not a pressure issue

windy1978
30-05-2010, 08:00 PM
A good way to check it so set the aircon to it's lowest setting and on the compressor in the engine bay hold the larger metal pipe from it. If the pipe is getting cold then your compressor is working and there is enough gas in the system, which points elsewhere in the system. This was told to me from Mr Air-Con in Birmingham yesterday after he serviced my climate control and he should me this simple check which I hope helps you.

hamma
31-05-2010, 08:23 AM
A good way to check it so set the aircon to it's lowest setting and on the compressor in the engine bay hold the larger metal pipe from it. If the pipe is getting cold then your compressor is working and there is enough gas in the system, which points elsewhere in the system. This was told to me from Mr Air-Con in Birmingham yesterday after he serviced my climate control and he should me this simple check which I hope helps you.

thats right, but only if the pressure is high enough for the controller to run the compressor. because if the pressure is too low, the compressor won't run at all, hense, you will not get a cold or a hot pipe!
Note: this is for automatic A/C systems. for manual systems, i don't know how it works