PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a Leon FR TDi or Cupra TDi

Red_Stafford
27-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Hi guys, I have been a member on here for a few years now drooling over some of your fine examples of the Gorgeous Leon, but now its finally time to start seriously looking at getting me one.

The wife is pregnant she only has 12 weeks to go :) and the only car we own at the moment is a 2005 Honda Civic Sport although this is a great built and looking car it only has 2 doors, lacks boot space and is very slow, in August I will have 2 years no claims so I want something a bit faster but also would like a diesel the FR * Cupra TDi seem to be the perfect compramise between economy & performance so thats why I think the FR or TDi Cupra would be the one for me.

1). Are the Diesel engines the same in the FR & Cupra in all Mk1's or was there a change made and if so which engine/year is best to look for

2). Should I get the FR or Cupra TDi, what colour is the most desirable I must admit I do fancie a black one

3). What extra's should I be looking for when searching for a Leon Mk1 Diesel ?

4). Whats the first thing you guys do/mod when you get your Leons ?

5). What BHP & 0-60 speeds are the TDi Standard and what can you get it up to with a descent remap (how much are remaps) also I have read you will need to upgrade the clutch when getting chipped what clutch upgrade should you go for ?

6). Do any of the Leon TDi FR or Cupra come with Leather Seats ?

7). Also does the Leon have Isofix child seat anchor points ?

8). Does they come with leather seats and climate control ?

Sorry for big list of questions

Cheers for looking, and cheers for all your comments to come.

aBoijj
04-06-2010, 11:39 PM
Replies below:

1). Are the Diesel engines the same in the FR & Cupra in all Mk1's or was there a change made and if so which engine/year is best to look for

The early Cupra TDis had a 2 wire glow plug harness, later ones had a 4 wire harness - while there's no difference in efficiency, it does help to have the 4 wire one when troubleshooting glow plug problems.

2). Should I get the FR or Cupra TDi, what colour is the most desirable I must admit I do fancie a black one

AFAIK, there's very little difference between the two. The Cupras tended to have a CD changer in the glove box, whereas the FR tended not to have. Most FRs I've seen have silver mirror covers, the cupras have body coloured covers.

Personally, I think they look best in black but colour is down to owner preference, I see a lot of red ones around.

3). What extra's should I be looking for when searching for a Leon Mk1 Diesel ?

This is down to personal preference really. Mine has climate control and the CD changer and both are useful, particularly the climate control.

4). Whats the first thing you guys do/mod when you get your Leons ?

312+mm brakes and remap... preferably in that order. The exhaust apparently makes a difference but I've not done mine yet - waiting til the standard one develops a hole.

5). What BHP & 0-60 speeds are the TDi Standard and what can you get it up to with a descent remap (how much are remaps) also I have read you will need to upgrade the clutch when getting chipped what clutch upgrade should you go for ?

It's not set in stone that you have to change the clutch when getting a remap, but bear in mind the condition and age/mileage of the existing clutch - the remap does put extra strain on the clutch and will take power to the limit of what the standard clutch can hold. Mine's running 191 BHP and over 300 ft/lb of torque (it's torque that puts the strain on the clutch)... I'd quote the exact figure if I could be bothered to go upstairs and find the printout. Expect to pay a minimum of £225 for a good remap - look out for special offers from the likes of p-torque.

6). Do any of the Leon TDi FR or Cupra come with Leather Seats ?

I think it's an optional extra, but personally I prefer the cloth. I had leather in my golf and I find the cloth seats hug you more and I certainly don't miss freezing seats in the winter and scolding hot seats in the summer!

7). Also does the Leon have Isofix child seat anchor points ?

Umm, I really don't know the answer to this. I can't say I know how to identify isofix. There seems to be conflicting answers in forums. Judging by the comments, I'd say the early models probably didn't have them.

8). Does they come with leather seats and climate control ?
Leather answer above. My Cupra TDi came with climate control, not sure if it's an optional extra though.

paul b
05-06-2010, 12:08 PM
If you're looking for a remap, Awesome GTI, a sponsor of this forum, are offering remaps for £199 through eBay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Seat-Leon-TDI-1-9TDI-2-0TDI-Remap-Tuning-/220585478955?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item335beb4b2b). You would need to ask them if the FR or Cupra PD150 models are included in this offer.

In addition, there are more forum sponsors offering remaps (Shark Performance provide a very interesting self tuning system) in the forum sponsors directory. (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=215)

veedub76
05-06-2010, 12:54 PM
Hi,
I've got a FR TDI 150 on a 54 plate and it's covered 113,000 from new with the previous owner being a very good mate of mine and it was his company car for 6 years,.

It has the cloth interior,although you can get leather, it has the colour coded door mirrors, not sure regarding the isofix seat.

Mines standard and has had 4 new glow plugs, a battery and the window regulator replaced.Apart from that it's on original clutch, and turbo and runs sweet as a nut.
It averages 50+ to the gallon and has real good acceleration.
Also has cruise control and the CD changer in the glove box

I got it for a good price £3500 with full Seat history.

Love it to bits

Let us know if you find one and what miles/age/price it is.:approve:

brum_s4
02-12-2010, 08:28 PM
I had a fr tdi mk6 new shape was a good car just needed the bttc kit on it to finish it off go for one buddy

Alexis2782
28-04-2011, 11:21 PM
I thought all Mk1 Leons had ISOFIX?