PDA

View Full Version : Couple of niggles - please help

grover
27-05-2010, 09:23 AM
Hi guys,

I've a couple of q's i hope you can help me with on my b5 pdi tdi estate:

OSR window motor works but glass remains still - should i remove door trim expecting to find a broken clip, or something fallen off? I'd like to (if needs be) source said 'clip' first if its likely to be the case its broken - in my experience with any trim the fewer occasions you removed/refit the better!

I've a squeal/worn bearing sound from a belt/pulley on my pd tdi - is there a cunning way of locating the worn part with the bumper/rad etc in place, or is it a case of removing a belt at a time..?

Many thanks in advance

Tom

martin1810
27-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Rear window...sounds like glass is disconnected. This usually means wind cable has snapped. On occasions the window fasteners have broken. You won't know until you take the trim and door plate off to look.
Yoyr belt problem could be you need a new belt. It could also be a worn tensioner or alternator pulley. Have a look to see if the belt is jumping about as it runs. That usually means alternator pulley or tensioner. You really need to take the belt off so that you can feel the tensioner and alternator pulley when they spin.

Sam
27-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Does the window motor make a stomach churning grinding noise?

Eshrules is a firm believer in the mechanics stethoscope, I personally think he just likes playing Doctors but, if you can borrow one.....

grover
27-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Hi guys, and thanks for your replies.

I should of said the motor moves freely, and you can lower it and push the glass down - ergo its definately the glass>motor mech thats failed, i just dont know what to expect, and whether they 'come off' or break most of the time?

I thought you'd say remove the belts - not much room in there as you know! :(

Cheers

Tom