PDA

View Full Version : Question Dab

allya
26-05-2010, 10:09 PM
I'm looking to upgrade my two year old b8 and one of the options I'm considering is DAB radio.. Was wondering what your views are on it and for those of you with it how good is it? Secondly if you get DAB does it move the MMI control next to the gear box.. Fingers crossed as it's much easier to use there in my opinion... Thanks

tigersargyle
26-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Got it.....buy it!

This option amazes everyone who gets in my car. If you listen to MW channels like Radio 5 and Talk Sport the days of hiss and buzz are gone. I think RDS data is also more sophisticated over the standard analogue radio. You also get more channels which are really easy to find as all automatically name tagged.

Sound quality is the big plus over analogue.. Absolutely great!

I live in Devon and in the past have had variable analogue reception on the A38/M5. No problems at all with DAB.

Unfortunately, it does not change the MMI to around the gearstick...you need Sat Nav for that which I would avoid and go for a Tom Tom unless you live in an area which uses 4 digit post codes....highly unlikely!

allya
27-05-2010, 06:15 AM
That's brilliant.. Thanks a lot for your response... Ally

robtt09
27-05-2010, 02:31 PM
Agree DAB one of the best options available. I live in rural North Yorkshire and have splendid reception.Radio 6 is excellent listening. I wonder tho' when Dab will become a standard fit.It cannot be far away

Zenerdiode
28-05-2010, 08:35 PM
...you need Sat Nav for that which I would avoid and go for a Tom Tom unless you live in an area which uses 4 digit post codes....highly unlikely!

:confused:

I don't understand what you mean here - I have the Sat Nav; and although the initial search is the first few characters of the post-code, you may then go right down to house number...

gazza1
28-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Read somewhere that DAB will become the new standard for car radios in the not to distant something to do with the analogue switch off.

Personally, I think the audi sat nav comes in for more stick than it deserves, I drive all over the UK on a weekly basis and very rarely does it mess up and tbh when I get lost it is usually because I haven't checked the address details completely.

On saying that the tomtom prob does have the edge especially now with the GO Live 550 service complete with the roadangel database and even an iphone option that comes with speed camera updates. Would also admit that next car may opt to get this hardwired as it is significantly cheaper than paying for the tech pack.

My current audi has the reversing camera, blind spot sensors and lane assist so the the tech pack was required and the satnav came with it plus a 40gb hard drive. Do wonder whether I need all this extra stuff and had my car valued this week and it doesn't add to the value whatsoever.So next time round , assuming I get another audi, will prob go for the s-line se without all the extra safety add ons and in-built sat nav.

Legs
28-05-2010, 11:01 PM
DAB is FAB, not available in all areas of the UK just yet but when within coverage Radio 5 football commentary moves to another level. Go for it!

Pauls898
29-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Does anyone know if it can be retro fitted? Asked Audi, they won;t get involved :zx11: would have thought it would simple be the matter of swaping over the tuner modual and re-code the computer? Surely it can't be that had? Don't want one of there moduals that you have to then tune in your FM radio too Can't see the point in that!! :confused:

GolferPete
29-05-2010, 10:53 AM
I believe that the DAB radio has a dedicated aerial element, which on the Avant means an element in one of the rear side windows, so you would also need a replacement side window. I don't know about the saloon.

tigersargyle
01-06-2010, 12:48 AM
:confused:

I don't understand what you mean here - I have the Sat Nav; and although the initial search is the first few characters of the post-code, you may then go right down to house number...

The problem I would have is in rural areas where for example PL20 covers in Devon about 20 square miles and you don't have house numbers/streets - just house names. In these locations the limited postcode facility of the built in Sat Nav is farcical compared to that of the Tom Tom.

Beats me why the clever Germans can not cope with allowing us to have a full 7 digit post code search. They would certainly sell more over here!

A1287210
01-06-2010, 09:21 AM
Just a word of warning about DAB, I found, travelling up and down to Glasgow frequently that reception dips in and out. Its good around major conurbations but some areas of the country the DAB still struggles. But I understand that it is getting better all the time.

Damo

Pauls898
01-06-2010, 12:33 PM
I have the same problem, I mainly use my SAT Nav to find carparks and remote places around the hills and Mountains for walking, on my old Kenwood I could entre grid refences which was even better, you don't get many carparks with Hous Number lol, Now I have to print out a map from my PC, in the car search for the nearest town then choose the option to search on the map, using the cross airs navigate to the same location as shown on my paper map, then set this as destination, it works but its a bit time consuming, and its ok providing you have access to a computer and a printer lol.

Bratty
01-06-2010, 01:15 PM
Beats me why the clever Germans can not cope with allowing us to have a full 7 digit post code search. They would certainly sell more over here![/QUOTE]

I think that the main reason is that the system works perfectly in Germany as the Post Codes are 6 digit, and being Teutonic the probably do not see the value in helping (what is a smallish market) in the UK. But you are 100% correct it is a farce and that is why the people at AUDI UK should be on the case:confused:.

And as far as having a Grid Reference option that is also a blinking good idea as you can use this function anywhere, no matter what country you are in.

Dunk

Pauls898
01-06-2010, 02:25 PM
I think you find its more to do with the licencing issue from the Post Office, I think they have to pay to use the Post Offices Post Codes down to that level, and as you say, UK is sure a small market they won't bother, not everyone who purchases an Audi in the UK goes the extra £2000 to include a SAT Nav when you can buy a Tom Tom from Halfords for £100 lol Mine just came with the car...

Geordie Amanda
01-06-2010, 02:40 PM
I think you find its more to do with the licencing issue from the Post Office, I think they have to pay to use the Post Offices Post Codes down to that level, and as you say, UK is sure a small market they won't bother, not everyone who purchases an Audi in the UK goes the extra £2000 to include a SAT Nav when you can buy a Tom Tom from Halfords for £100 lol Mine just came with the car...

I too remember reading that you have to pay for the full Post Code data, although I am not sure if it is the Post Office that actually own the map? Anyhoo, what then got me thinking was, if a Cheapo Sat Nav costing less than £100 can have full Post Code mapping, the cost of Post Code data must be miniscule. Say Halfords probably buy the Sat Nav in at nearer to half the retail price (£50) and the manufactures not only have to build the thing but make profit on it. Therefore I reckon the actual cost per Post Code licence must only be a few pounds at most. Doesn’t really add up when you are spending £25-45K on a car with Sat Nav does it? :(

Bratty
01-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Sorry about the conspiracy theory, but the UK market is negligeable, UNLESS! you complain enough!!!!!!. A couple of thousand pounds for navi is sick but it is a system which has attributes:confused:.

Dunk