PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Spacers

The Muts Nuts
01-06-2007, 07:37 PM
Hi people. I have a quick techy one for you all. If i were to put wheel spacers(well say 15mm for example) on the back wheels what would it do with respect to the steering geometry ect?

Is there a rule to follow like doing the same to all four wheels or can you widen the track at the front/rear independently? Any input will be much appreciated.

devonutopia
01-06-2007, 09:10 PM
On the back it will do nothing but give you a 30mm wider track. I'm running 15mm spacers on the front now to clear my brembos. I know that I am sacrificing some of my wheel bearing life, and I had to raise my front suspension a fair way to avoid wheel arch rub - still does it sometimes though on potholes or undulating surfaces. Hoping it's just the arch liner meeting tyre, not the arch itself.

Steering geomotry won't be affected. Your still keeping the same alignment - you're just pushing the wheels out a bit more. As long as the spacer is a good one (I have eibach 15mm hubcentric ones), you won't get issues that might occur if a spacer was not DEAD ON 15mm all the way around. :)

The Muts Nuts
01-06-2007, 09:19 PM
Ta very much chap. Id thought about the extra loads associatted with basically making the car wider i was just wondering how it would affect everything.

The problem isnt with my car, its a friends Ibiza Tdi 130 and he's complaining that the **** end is a touch flighty(having followed him i can see what he means!) and obviously Coil-overs are damn expensive so im asking these questions on his behalf to see what can be done.

devonutopia
01-06-2007, 10:18 PM
Good coilovers (I have KWs) and an anti-roll bar on the back will make more difference (much more) than a pair of spacers. :)

The Muts Nuts
01-06-2007, 11:02 PM
Yeah i know, but £ comes into it big time. I know £500 odd for coil-overs is cheap for the benefits they give but when you have to do things 'on the cheap' the smallest handling gain is a god-send.

onzarob
01-06-2007, 11:21 PM
they will help, it effectively makes the car wider and more stable, usually done on the fronton a front whell drive car, it also has the efect of making the car longer without making the wheel base physically longer which means it will be smoother in a straight line, as said though you'll put more load on the outside of the bearing shortening there life.

devonutopia
02-06-2007, 11:15 AM
A pair of good spacers will be £80 odd so still quite a bit too.

Also, just having really good rubber on the back wheels helps too.