PDA

View Full Version : Do the dealer give New A6 a good wax?

V5 Man
26-05-2010, 08:13 AM
Hi
Just picked up my new A6 on Monday (lovely car :biglaugh:).
Do the Audi dealers give the car a good coat of wax during prep or I would it be best advised to do one myself? If so, what is a top notch product that is easy to apply?
I've already done a few hundred motorway miles and it's caked in flies.

On another note what is the best for drying cars these days a good leather or something else?? Looking for advice as my leathers are all worn out and don't want to use on new car.

belfastmark
26-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Hi V5MAN
I think that the Audi dealer would have got the prep shop to give the car some sort of wax bedore you recieved it. Personally, if it was me, I would get a supaguard kit and use that. The one you want is the sponge and aerosol spray.
The sponge for the outside, and the spray for the inside.
These can be got of ebay for about £10, or if you know anyone in the trade, get one through the back door.
Normally, before you recieve the car, the dealer will try and flog you supaguard treatment for about £300 or a life shine kit for anything between £300 and £350, though these are more difficult to get.
If I had a new car,I would polish it every 4 weeks at least, but thats me.
Enjoy the car.

Clinterous
26-05-2010, 08:44 PM
The old shammy is a big no-no these days. A microfibre towel is what you need.

If the paint work feels smooth and is mirror like, then all you need to do is apply a decent sealant product.

JimC64
27-05-2010, 01:41 AM
As stated the "old" chamois leather is a thing of the past. You need to get yourself a wash mitt and some microfibre towels for drying the car:approve:
I'm assuming its brand new? If not it may require a claying session particularly on the lowers to remove tar deposits etc etc.
As for polish / wax products check out the detailing section.
Supaguard / Lifeshine at £300......avoid avoid avoid!
If you really want to pay that kind of money get a professional detailer to go over the whole car for you! I guarantee you, even if its new there will be plenty of swirl marks / hologramming ( check it when itsclean in the sunshine at different angles and you'll see what I mean )
A professional detailer will restore it to better than showroom condition

V5 Man
27-05-2010, 09:37 AM
Thanks for all the replies.
Yes it is a brand car, therefore I assume claying won't be required.

Point taken about leather, I will have head of to a local supplier to see if I can get a decent wash mit and microfibre cloth.

Does anyone know if Halfords sell any of the above (has to very good quality)?

JimC64
27-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Yes of corse Halfords will have the wash mitt and the microfibre towels and just about any other product you want I guess.
Ebay is a good place to look...I got my microfibres from there for a great price and have repeated the order 2 or 3 times now.
If you want the best and don't mid paying for it there are detailers who sell the products also.
Good luck

Plife
28-05-2010, 01:27 PM
Yes it is a brand car, therefore I assume claying won't be required.

I would say it would definitely need claying! It is bound to have some glue and tar residue. I think you would be surprised at the amount of stuff the clay would get off!

JimC64
28-05-2010, 06:07 PM
I've seen so many "brand new" cars that have terrible swirl marks / holgramming etc etc and could really benefit from a once over from a pro detailer for sure.
In fact I've read hundreds of threads where a "brand new" car has been ordered and the buyer has instructed the dealer "NOT TO PREPARE IT" in ANY way....Then sent it out to a pro detailer costing maybe £400 or so and had it prepped to what can only be described as a flawless standard:approve: