PDA

View Full Version : 6 speed manual gearbox noise

paul.mgrath
25-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Chaps,

The gearbox on my car has started to make a noise when in neutral and only stops when put into any gear. Its like a rattley whir noise. Is this normal?? The wife normally drives the car but recently i have been dropping her of at work and as such have been sat in traffic more.

The cars due for a service shortly so am going to demonstrate the noise to them when its in. Just want to know basically whether they all do it (which they may say) or if there is something cynical underlying.

Foxtrot Oscar
25-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Any chance of a recording, or is it too quiet to pick it up properly?

Short answer is - no it's not normal! Clutch release bearing possibly.

Does it stop / change when you de-clutch in neutral?

paul.mgrath
25-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Its too quiet to record. It only happens if the car is not in gear whether the clutch in or not. As soon as the car is put into 1st it stops whether the clutch is up or down. I remember hearing a rattle on my mk5 and thinking nothing of it and left it - turned out to be the DMF so wanna nip this one in the bud. Car has only done 11000 miles!!

It sound a bit like a loose engine cover rattle. Got an e-mail off the garage saying my car maybe up for a service and would i like to take advantage of a free courtesy car whilst its in - think i had better tick the yes box;).