PDA

View Full Version : RCD210 radio signal

markus_bms
25-05-2010, 04:52 PM
Hi all..
Have been having an issue with the RCD210 with respect to FM stations. Particularly the BBC -radio 1/2. The signal keeps dropping and the sound quality is rather poor when the car is in motion. I never had this problem with any of my previous cars so I presume either the quality of the components/RF circuit design is crap.. or that the antenna itself is weak as in most cases when the car is stationary a decent quality output is obtained.
Would anyone have any experience/advice on whether replacing the headunit would make a difference to this ? Or is the poor signal inherently due to the antenna design.. Cheers!

SC03OTT
25-05-2010, 05:08 PM
You have tuned it properly? Might sound like a daft question but you never know.

markus_bms
25-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Yes, tried that a few times thinking that might well be the case but the stations are correctly picked up. Seems to be an issue when driving only. TP is off too.
Anyone with a RCD310 having similar issues..

Steve_D
25-05-2010, 07:00 PM
I don't listen to R1 but I get a problem on R2 whatever car I'm in - sound disappearing for a split second, mixed with a short burst from some other channel.

percymon
26-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Yes, tried that a few times thinking that might well be the case but the stations are correctly picked up. Seems to be an issue when driving only. TP is off too.

On my RCD310 i do get poor reception in a certain area but thats the lack of signal, and not radio itself. Not surprising as the only way we can get TV is by satellite, no terestial signal even though now supposedly an area with digital TV broadcasts.

Sounds like your aerial connection might be a bit iffy - i'd pull the headunit out and double check its connected properly.

markus_bms
26-05-2010, 03:07 PM
Yes, i guess that's what i'll have to check out. Anyone done this with the RCD210 and got any links for the photos :)

Steve_D
26-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Yes, i guess that's what i'll have to check out. Anyone done this with the RCD210 and got any links for the photos :)

This thread is for a RCD310 but it should point you in the right direction.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=21273&highlight=sat+nav

Tippers123
12-02-2012, 12:20 PM
I have recently upgraded the factory fitted rcd210 to an rcd 310 and have since experienced the same issue you described! The rcd 210 only requires 1 fm input and when factory fitted 1 fm antenna is installed! The rcd 310 requires 2 fm inputs (I only have 1)! The link below shows the item required to fix this issue but is not available in the uk!?!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002GOH42?*entries*=0&*Version*=1

Tippers123
12-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Since found this.....

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/con-ct27aa70-ct27aa70-aerialantenna-fakra-2-1-connection-adaptor.html

The PM
13-02-2012, 09:40 AM
I had (have!) problems with reception as well... I took it back and they replaced the whole radio, but the new one is just as bad... I don't think that its the radio, its the ariel. A booster seems the only solution?

Keithuk
13-02-2012, 10:47 AM
TP is off too.

No problem with my RCD310 loosing reception though I don't listen to BBC -radio 1/2. I keep my TP switched of as it neither use nor ornament when it lets you know of problems in Liverpool which is 50 mile away or any where loads of miles away.

Take it back so they can check out while its still under warranty.

Rhigour
13-02-2012, 08:14 PM
I get faultless reception on the 510 on both FM & DAB except for one spot on one road in Hampshire. Every time I cross the spot from either direction the radio cuts out for about 5 seconds. I suspect it is because the location is close to Farnborough in one direction and RAF Odiham on the other and it must be a radio beacon beacon on the approach of one or the other.