PDA

View Full Version : Warning light on dash orange with key on it

johno
01-06-2007, 04:11 PM
when i try to start my car which is an A4 Avant Quattro (1996) the light flashes which is situated on the rev counter side of the dash the light is orange/amber in colour whith a car shape on it with a key symbol on it now it flashes and car starts then cuts out so im sure its to do with the alarm/imoboliser side of things and i have to turn key off and on for a few minutes then it comes on and goes out then car starts and runs fine is this a problem with the key or alarm or something else any help would be great

thanks johno

davedru
04-06-2007, 01:24 AM
You are correct in your assumption that this relates to your immobiliser. Are you using an original, dealer-supplied key, or a replacement?

Jabez
04-06-2007, 07:11 AM
Hi
Have a look at this link....
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=8761 (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=8761)
They have a similar problem
Cheers
mcc

Muddy19
04-06-2007, 07:19 AM
i been having the same problem for months.

what i did (yesterday) was to go and buy some electrical contact cleaner from a local car accesories shop. carcraft and halfords do not supply this supply this. bms do, but it is overpriced. (£6.99). also it would help to buy a new battery (£2-bms, £3.59-halfords)

then open up your key, take out your battery and spray the whole thing and give it a wipe down, also spray your barrel and the actual key (with the cut design) on it both sides. replace your battery with the new one.

this has reduced the problem and saved me a lot ov headache. it used to flash (immobilser) approx 15-20times a day ( i do a lot of start-stop driving). so far since yesterday its only come on twice.

Electrical contact cleaner (varys in price between £3.50-£6.99)
Car key light battery ( varys in price between £2-£3.59)
A cloth (am sure you got a clean one lying about)
A penny. (to open your key, insert the penny into the dip in the side of your key, and twist to pry open)

thats all i did and used, after getting the advice from fellow audi owners on this forum.

ini
04-06-2007, 08:28 AM
This is generally the reader coil for the immobiliser playing up.

It loops around the ignition barrel, and gets pulled when the steering column is adjusted, causing a bad contact or damage to the wire.

johno
04-06-2007, 10:15 AM
yes its the orignal key but i used the spare (with a spanner on it whats this key forapart from the normal thing)and the light has not come back on as yet but will try the clean it method and i have had the dash apart replacing some bulbs backlights god they make them hard to replace dont they

cheers all johno

ini
04-06-2007, 11:41 AM
The key with the spanner symbol on it is the workshop key, it should disable the immobiliser but wont open the glovebox.

You may also have another key which only opens the doors but wont work the ignition.

The main keys and the tiny plastic one all are fully functional in all locks + ingition.

Muddy19
19-06-2007, 07:37 AM
Argh that <removed, see reason below> piece of junk immobilser has started playing up again!

not only do i need it to start the damn thing, but i get overboost/underboost quite a bit, so i gotta re-start the car sometimes ( if i dont want it to drive like a HGV)

errrrrrrrrrrr............

help?>

johno
19-06-2007, 09:42 AM
the key with the spanner seemed to fix my problem touch wood not had it since using this key

johno

jonathanfenton
26-07-2010, 07:36 PM
I just unplugged battery and plugged it in again.. problem solved... my MK4 Golf did the same years ago and that fixed that aswell... guess the immobiliser just gets a bit confused.... must be made my microsoft ;-)

bez101
27-07-2010, 12:12 PM
the wire that joins the key reader needs changeing
very cheap item from audi
and very common
easy to fit your self

jonathanfenton
28-07-2010, 09:50 PM
the wire that joins the key reader needs changeing
very cheap item from audi
and very common
easy to fit your self

when you say easy have you got/seen a how to guide anywhere?

phil's avant
31-07-2010, 11:24 AM
Just had my loom replaced cost £16 for the loom and an hours labour. Hope it's now sorted. Phil:Blush: