PDA

View Full Version : Flat Tyre Indicator Switch Position

WeegieBob
25-05-2010, 07:31 AM
Following on from a thread started by hotdog62 re repositioning this switch - can any one tell me why VW repositioned this switch from its early production Mk VI models original location in the gearlever centre consol switch row to this bizarrely inaccessible location buried up in the glovebox?

I always believed the Germans were masters of ergonomics, but this repositioning borders on an almost "Heath Robinson" bodge. What makes it more frustrating is the fact in my car only one position is taken up by the ESP button, the rest are all blanks. Granted some options need the extra spaces, but I wonder just how many cars actually use up all of them to have required this revision?

Perhaps German designers aren't quite as infallible as many of us believed. :rolleyes:

WeegieBob.

vwcabriolet1971
25-05-2010, 09:23 AM
Judging from the discussions on this forum about this feature , most owners don't know what its for ! Also VAG appear to not know how it works by describing it as a tyre pressure monitoring feature in the latest POLO brochure ( which it isn't ).
Perhaps some enlightened VAG engineer decided to move it out of the way from inquisitive fingers ?

Keithuk
25-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Well I don't find the glovebox switch bizarrely inaccessible how often are you going to press it? You only need to press it if you change the tyre pressures a great deal or you change the wheels around, you don't do that every week or do you?

I've had mine 4 months and I haven't pressed it once, I've only checked the tyre pressures once when I first had it because they say that the transport/delivery pressure can be 55psi. ;).

bassmandan
25-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Also VAG appear to not know how it works by describing it as a tyre pressure monitoring feature in the latest POLO brochure ( which it isn't ).

Err, does it not monitor the pressure of the tyres? I know it doesn't do it directly, but when the pressure is low in a tyre, it warns you, therefore it is a tyre pressure monitoring system...

I agree with KeithUK - it's nicely out of the way in the glovebox, and there is no situation where you would need to press it while driving, so it seems like a much more sensible place to put it to me.

Having said that, I do dislike blank buttons :(

Blackthorn
25-05-2010, 02:21 PM
When the Mk6 first came out, there were five features or options which could potentially have used all the spaces behind the gear lever - ESP, Tyre pressure, Parking sensors, Park Assist and Adaptive Suspension.

Subsequenly when the ECO models came out, there was a button for engine start/stop. Hence they needed to shift one out of the way to make room for that. Whilst it's unlikely that any particular car would have all six buttons used, it is I suppose possible, and they can't really shift buttons around depending on whether there's room or not. That would be a logistical nightmare!

I agree it's a shame though, I hate blank buttons because you know you're missing something. I was expecting to just have one blank, but between VW shifting the tyre pressure switch to the glovebox, and my dealer forgeting to order Park Assist, I've ended up with three.

Keithuk
25-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Err, does it not monitor the pressure of the tyres? I know it doesn't do it directly, but when the pressure is low in a tyre, it warns you, therefore it is a tyre pressure monitoring system...

I'm afraid not bassmandan the system that monitors actual pressure is TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monitoring System) (http://www.my-gti.com/321).

The Flat Tyre Indicator measures the speed of each rotating wheel via the ABS sensors. I one wheel rotates faster than the others over a given distance then that tyre has a lower pressure. The warning shows on the dash but it doesn't tell you which wheel its up to the driver to investigate. According the the brochure the Tyre Pressure Indicator I would assume TPMS is fitted to the GT as standard.

Now I asked about this when I ordered mine and the only option available was the warning light for £35, crap sales people. ;)

bassmandan
25-05-2010, 03:45 PM
I'm afraid not bassmandan the system that monitors actual pressure is TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monitoring System) (http://www.my-gti.com/321).

The Flat Tyre Indicator measures the speed of each rotating wheel via the ABS sensors. I one wheel rotates faster than the others over a given distance then that tyre has a lower pressure. The warning shows on the dash but it doesn't tell you which wheel its up to the driver to investigate. According the the brochure the Tyre Pressure Indicator I would assume TPMS is fitted to the GT as standard.

Now I asked about this when I ordered mine and the only option available was the warning light for £35, crap sales people. ;)

Well yes, but my point is that the cheapo system does still indirectly monitor the pressure, so there is nothing wrong with VW calling it a tyre pressure monitor system. Just because it doesn't tell you the exact pressure in each tyre doesn't mean it's not monitoring the pressure... :confused:

Keithuk
25-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Well yes, but my point is that the cheapo system does still indirectly monitor the pressure, so there is nothing wrong with VW calling it a tyre pressure monitor system. Just because it doesn't tell you the exact pressure in each tyre doesn't mean it's not monitoring the pressure... :confused:
Yes in a roundabout way but you can't see the pressures can you? If you look in the spec they call it the Flat Tyre Indicator which is different. It doesn't monitor any pressure it uses the formula in the link to calculate the difference ;)

percymon
25-05-2010, 04:21 PM
I've used the switch twice, once on delivery and then after dropping pressures for deep snow and then reinflating them. I check pressures at least once per week, but see no need to be constantly setting the system. The glovebox position is out of way of prodding childs fingers, and to me is a logical position for it. The switch has no more need to be on the centre console than the passenger airbag deactivation switch.

bassmandan
25-05-2010, 04:43 PM
If you look in the spec they call it the Flat Tyre Indicator which is different.

Fair point :p

Keithuk
25-05-2010, 07:40 PM
If you look in the spec they call it the Flat Tyre Indicator which is different.
Its also confusing on the web site (http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/#/new/golf-gti-vi/configure/598/optional-extras/safety) as it shows a graphical indication with a pressure on the flat tyre indicator. I complained to the salesman about this and he said its confusing but thats how VW show it. ;)

paul.mgrath
25-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Safe to say it works as i had nail in my tyre that i knew nothing about. However a couple of weeks ago light came on on motorway which proved to be false alarm:aargh4:

Slowed me down tho' till i could get to petrol station to check.

I do agree though that the reset button is best out of the way as i have children who like pusing buttons!!!!

Keithuk
11-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Just in case this topic hasn't gotten any further I've noticed Adding switches to the blank switch covers in the centre console of the Volkswagen Golf (http://www.my-gti.com/2367/adding-switches-to-the-blank-switch-covers-in-the-centre-console-of-the-volkswagen-golf-and-jetta). It doesn't talk about extending existing wiring looms but you could alway ask this question if your still stuck. ;)