PDA

View Full Version : transporter t4 2.4d gearbox noise

mrsheen
01-06-2007, 01:13 PM
hi forum,

I'm new to this site but what agreat resource!

Anyway, just purchased a 2nd hand T4 2.4d. 136K on the clock and pretty tidy all round.

I've noticed that there is a whining from the gearbox (i think) which is noticeable when the van is in 4th. is this a common fault and what could it be if so. is it likely to get worse or can i live with it in the safe knowledge that it won't blow up!

Are there any other common faults that i should be leeping my eye out for on these vans? How long will these engines last (mileage) if looked after?

Also, as there was no service history past 60K (as i was told by a VW dealer) i am thinking of changing the cambelt and wondered if someone knows what the cost would be? and, can someone recommend a good mechanic in north or east London.

Cheers,

Freshup
21-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Hi, These gearbox don't usually whine. If noise is engine speed related in all gears, I have found excess play in input shaft. 0.1mm difference in shim can be the difference between noise and no noise. If road speed related I would suspect diff bearings. These seem a weak point. Either way gearbox out job. Early repair of diff will save heaps as I had one collapse and required new crownwheel etc. $$$$$$$ As for engine, regular service seem to last forever. Only fitted rings and bearings at 350000km after changing from synthetic? oil to mineral on advise from BP (bore glazsed) now 600k back on syn, still not burning oil. Regards John

mrsheen
11-09-2007, 10:33 PM
cheers freshup - sorry not to respond sooner but its been a while since i last used the forum.

i was told by a transporter mechanic that a whining noixe in 4th gear is a sure sign that the box is on its way out and will probab ly let me down - is this so or might it carry on as it is for a while?

Freshup
12-09-2007, 01:16 AM
Hi,
Unfortunately these things don't get better by themselves. An early repair, although expensive, will save a lot more money in the long run.

mrsheen
12-09-2007, 08:43 AM
hi, thanks for your advice again....looks like i am facing an expensive repair. Do you know how long it might take/cost/whats involved?

Dan

Freshup
12-09-2007, 09:06 PM
Hi,
Overhauled one of mine a couple of months ago. Took a couple of days labour. Only replaced bearings and seals. Parts cost about NZ$1000 - 350quid?. If clutch needs replacing then kit including flywheel extra NZ$1600 - 550quid?
Don't know how prices compare with UK but expensive here compared with Japanese vans that are far more common over here.
Regards
John