PDA

View Full Version : Stop/Start not working?

breedop
22-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Hi all neewbie here picked up my Passat Bluemotion 140ps yesterday.

Can someone explain to me what should happen with the stop/start please as I don't think its kicking in on my car.

The dealer said when the car is warm, if you pull up, select neutral and keep your foot on the brake the engine will sound like its shut down. This doesn't happen it still sounds like its running normally but a symbol like a wishbone with a line accross it appears in the MFD.

If I turn it off with the '@A' button the car still runs but the crossed wishbone symbol doesn't appears.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

DRU2C
23-05-2010, 01:21 PM
I have noticed that the “stop/ start” function doesn’t work on my vehicle if the aircon is on and pumping out cold air; could this be because the engine has to be running for the aircon unit to function correctly. Otherwise, in normal English weather, once the engine reaches operating temperature the stop / start works fine

johnloaderuk
23-05-2010, 08:53 PM
I also have the 140 Bluemotion Technology Passat, and the stop start works fine on mine as long as the criteria is met. I think this is that the driver has to have a seat belt on, drivers door must be shut, not stopped on a steep hill, interior temperature up/down to temp, gear lever in neutral, handbrake on or foot on brake, clutch must be released and, perhaps, a couple of other things I can't remember right now. Even works when air con on and working hard to keep cabin temp down. The symbol appears as you say in the central display when it activates. If one or more of these conditions is not met, a symbol appears in the top right hand corner of the MFD to inform you it won't stop/start for whatever the reason.

The obvious thing is to check the rev counter to see if the engine is still running or not. All other functions including aircon should work as usual when engine off, so maybe you hear something else that is still running, just not the engine.

breedop
24-05-2010, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I think my problems have been down to the unusual hot weather since I picked up the car. During the day in the heat the engine doesn't stop at idle presumably becasue the cooling fans are needed to stop overheating so the engine stays running.

But at night when its cooler the Stop/Star kicks in fine. Caught me out first time it happened though thought I'd stalled. :p

Johnloaderuk is there a proper ipod type connecter in the passat 140 I can see one anywhere other than the aux in on the front? I was hoping I might be able to use the stero to control the ipod like my wifes golf allows.

johnloaderuk
24-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Johnloaderuk is there a proper ipod type connecter in the passat 140 I can see one anywhere other than the aux in on the front? I was hoping I might be able to use the stero to control the ipod like my wifes golf allows.

I think it may depend upon exactly what stereo you have. I have the Highline Plus which has the RNS310 with the aux on the front of the stereo unit, but would prefer the music to be on the memory card which also fits in the front of the stereo on the RNS310 sat nav/radio, but haven't tried this yet. Better to have no wires trailing around in my opinion.
Basically you're right, there isn't a connection between the armrest, but you can control the music in folders from the stereo if on the memory card, but not sure from Ipod as I haven't tried it yet.

breedop
10-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Johnloaderuk it sounds like we have similar models I have a Highline Plus Estate. Anyway I've gone your route and copied my mp3's to a memory card for ease of use I put my satnav data on the card too and it all works great.

Thanks for your input.
:biglaugh: