PDA

View Full Version : lumpy startup

vwnige
22-05-2010, 12:06 AM
i have a Passat tdi sport 2003 model, for a while now the car has been a bit lumpy on start up..

I cleaned the egr valve a few weeks ago and that seemed to cure it for a while but now its back..

Does anybody have any ideas what it might be.

martin1810
22-05-2010, 10:27 AM
If you are sure that cleaning the EGR improved things, I would make sure it is shut and then pull off the vacuum pipe and block it with a bolt. (Must be air tight). If this improves things you can either leave it like that or fit a new EGR. If things don't improve, get a code read and look eleswhere.

vwnige
22-05-2010, 09:33 PM
If you are sure that cleaning the EGR improved things, I would make sure it is shut and then pull off the vacuum pipe and block it with a bolt. (Must be air tight). If this improves things you can either leave it like that or fit a new EGR. If things don't improve, get a code read and look eleswhere.

Cheers Martin,

To tell you the truth i was considering one of those Allard kits but i have heard that you get an emissions message on some cars.

Do you think i would get a message on mine

53 plate 2003 model.

Thanks again for your help.

martin1810
22-05-2010, 10:14 PM
I think the EGR replacement kit is a waste of money. An EGR blanking plate will have the same effect. If you follow what I said earlier you will see if the fault light comes on. It doesn't usually.

vwnige
24-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Thanks for your help Martin, i will block the pipe and see how i get on..

Which pipe do i block, is the the thicker one on the top of the egr or is the the pipe that goes into the plastic actutor trigger thingy..

passat 130 tdi
24-05-2010, 12:43 PM
the thick 1 on the diaphram. mine ran lumpy at 1800-2000 rpm all the time, i tried injector cleaners ,new air filter , nothing worked ,so i took pipes off egr and it ran lovely immediately.