PDA

View Full Version : Rear boot side panel removal

Spud312r
21-05-2010, 07:47 AM
Trying to figure out how the rear side panel where the fuses/electrics are comes of.. i'm fitting a tow bar and have to wire in the electrics etc..

I cant see any screws etc.... any ideas ??

See attachment

Jam Man
22-05-2010, 10:07 PM
From memory, most of it clips in but there is a bolt in the recess where the rear luggage cover sits.

allroadkev
24-05-2010, 10:29 PM
I'm at this stage too, it says to disconnect the battery before doing any wiring, i've read battery is under driver seat, and there is a remote charge terminal under bonnet.

the manual is not very helpful on this, do you disconnect battery under bonnet or under seat?

once connected again do you have to do anything, such as window resetting or stuff?

Spud312r
25-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Any idea what size nuts these are that are holding onth ebumper to the chassis.. look sliek you need a box spanner or very long socket ???

allroadkev
25-05-2010, 07:20 PM
they are 10mm, use a deep socket with extension bar.

little tip for not losing the nuts, put a little bit of blu tack around the edge of the socket. same for putting them back on. it was quite easy.

remove these first then all the torx screws, then the bumper unclips at the sides, it flex's fine, pull outwards at the top each side, then slide it back, wiring was attached at right end.

you can rest bumper on floor to do the rest, remove the foam bits before you try to put on towbar unit.

good luck

Spud312r
25-05-2010, 10:05 PM

little tip for not losing the nuts, put a little bit of blu tack around the edge of the socket. same for putting them back on. it was quite easy.

remove these first then all the torx screws, then the bumper unclips at the sides, it flex's fine, pull outwards at the top each side, then slide it back, wiring was attached at right end.

you can rest bumper on floor to do the rest, remove the foam bits before you try to put on towbar unit.

good luck

Many thanks

I have a deep 10mm socket, but it just to short if i use the extension bar pushed right in .. if i balance the socket on the bar i maaged to get it on the nuts to undo them ;-)

New rear subframe is bolted on, but have to remove the wiring (after all connected up !!!) as i put it throughj the wrong bung hole and it wouldnt reach the towbar mount :Blush2:

Spud312r
26-05-2010, 02:36 PM

good luck

Right putting bumper back on , use dblue tack wich was great ... BUT DROPPED DEEP 10MM SOCKET into chassis !!!!!

HELP!!!

Is there anyway to get this out ?? unless u have micro hands ????

allroadkev
27-05-2010, 07:44 AM
i did the same, i have a magnet on a flexi snake, pick up tool thing. got it first time, or magnet on a string? or put up with a rattling rear end:Blush2:

i havent wired mine up yet, i'd better check i got the right bung as it seemed a bit tight

Spud312r
27-05-2010, 09:04 AM
i did the same, i have a magnet on a flexi snake, pick up tool thing. got it first time, or magnet on a string? or put up with a rattling rear end:Blush2:

i havent wired mine up yet, i'd better check i got the right bung as it seemed a bit tight

Tried a strong magnet on string, but kept catch steel bodywork....
I have a flexi snake, but it son its way to portugal with my sports bike.. i fly out for 3 days at Park Algar tommorrow !!!

I'll have to write up the experience , as its not all plain sailing putting a full tow-bar and audi wiring .. just trying to get the wiring from the body work hole right in the corner up through all the electronics is a knightmare... you will have to take of the offside bu,per carrier to gain access to a airvent there, to be able to help you guide the cables up.. etc etc...

allroadkev
27-05-2010, 09:57 AM
sod the car, enjoy the track time, lucky so and so:biglaugh:

Spud312r
27-05-2010, 10:52 AM
sod the car, enjoy the track time, lucky so and so:biglaugh:

Yep can't wait 3 days on Park Algar circuit in sunny dry weather.. :beerchug:
So its half term as well .. warm sunny beach and eye candy as well , plus steaks and piri-piri chicken and beers all round :D

Q7 is now all back together .... found another assembly problem.. when putting bumper back on .. leave the bolts/nuts last and clip sides on 1st , else if you tighten nuts up, the bumper cant flex enough to get bumper sides located on chassis...

When i get back i'll write a full report on DIY towbar and Audi wiring kit.. the pitfalls etc..