PDA

View Full Version : A3 1.6se ELECTRIC FAULTS GALORE HELPIM GOING MAD

JONTY1976
20-05-2010, 09:24 PM
Hi,

I have a 2000 a31.6se which has a catalogue of electrical faults. The faults are as follows:-

revcounter, speedo dont work,
indicators dont work,
now becoming very difficult to start and when it does the fan stays on for ages after switching the engine off,

It has had a new crankshaft sensor last year , i have also just had a temperature sensor fitted as the aa guy and my local mechanic thought that was oneof theproblems. I have now been advised to take it to an auto electrician but before i do that i was wondering if anyone has any ideas what the problem is and approximate costs etc.

Crasher
20-05-2010, 10:01 PM
The rev counter/speedo problem will probably be a faulty instrument pack and the cost of this varies according to what is fitted (used/repaired or new) and who does it.

The indicator problem is usually a faulty hazard warning light switch and is easy to repair and the part is about £25.

As for the staring problem, you need a fault code read.

The fan problem could be a sender or fan controller and would need investigating.

JONTY1976
28-05-2010, 12:58 PM
Hi, Many thanks for the reply i didnt realise anyone actually had, i fancy having a go at doing the indicator relay. how hard is to get to?

Jonathan

Crasher
28-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Very easy, it just pops out, it is the switch itself in the dash.

Bartoosh
14-06-2010, 03:50 PM
As you listed so many symptoms I'd recommend having a fault diagnosis before buying any bits (Find a garage with a VAG diagnostic machine). It only costs about £30 and will isolate the problems rather than depending on a mechanic's guesswork and risking spending money on unnecessary work.

audi5802
17-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Did you find out what was wrong with your car as i have exactly the same problmes now so any help would be great???

Probs i have
1. Indicators not working
2. Rev,milage,time date not working just engine lights on clocks
3. Car wont start at all