PDA

View Full Version : AirCon not getting cold

slineallen
20-05-2010, 05:18 PM
My aircon seems to be just blowing warm air out, ive tried it with recirculation on/off.

Any ideas. Yes i have definately preesed the aircon button.;)

a8 tech
20-05-2010, 06:06 PM
there is a problem with the pressure switch but also the lin bus wire breaks, book into your dealer

slineallen
20-05-2010, 06:47 PM
Thanks for your reply, i will get it booked in. Is it a known problem then?

markp306
24-05-2010, 03:02 PM
there is a problem with the pressure switch but also the lin bus wire breaks, book into your dealer

Really unimpressed with mine. There is cold air coming from the vents, but it's ineffective in this weather.

I'm getting on the phone now!

slineallen
24-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Really unimpressed with mine. There is cold air coming from the vents, but it's ineffective in this weather.

I'm getting on the phone now!

Keep us informed please.

gibbyd
25-05-2010, 07:47 AM
Mine is in this morning to sort this problem too. The whole front of the car has to come off, so its a big job !!

Will let you know how it goes!

audiix
25-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Are you guys with this problem getting just ambient air (i.e. warm in the UK at the moment), or poorly chilled air?

I must admit, I was woefully unimpressed with my A4's aircon when I picked it up last year (brand new '09 plate). The aircon in my 2005 Vectra ( ok :biglaugh: !) I had before cooled the car far more effectively than the A4's does (and I am able to compare even now as I know the person who bought it). Both cars are black, with black interiors.

Just interested to know whether my aircon might also be a bit of a dud...?

Cheers.

Steve.

Eshrules
25-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Are you guys with this problem getting just ambient air (i.e. warm in the UK at the moment), or poorly chilled air?

I must admit, I was woefully unimpressed with my A4's aircon when I picked it up last year (brand new '09 plate). The aircon in my 2005 Vectra ( ok :biglaugh: !) I had before cooled the car far more effectively than the A4's does (and I am able to compare even now as I know the person who bought it). Both cars are black, with black interiors.

Just interested to know whether my aircon might also be a bit of a dud...?

Cheers.

Steve.

if it's brand new and not cooling the air as well as a vectra, why have you not returned it for the fault to be fixed?

a8 tech
25-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Not so sure why the front needs to come of your B8 but I can tell you what common faults they suffer

B8 A4 & A5

1 pressure sensor defective and a modified sensor replacement resolves the issue.
2 the Lin bus wire breaks (open circuit), often in the wiring loom near the central electrics control unit or in the loom on the nsf inner wing.

Once the problem is resolved then the a/c works very affectively.

markp306
25-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Keep us informed please.

Camberley Audi are busy until 10th June (now booked) but did suggest an annual aircon service is the way to go. I will have to wait and see to find out if it is a breakdown.

At least the hot weather has given up too.

audiix
26-05-2010, 11:22 AM
if it's brand new and not cooling the air as well as a vectra, why have you not returned it for the fault to be fixed?

Hi there,

It's not that it doesn't work at all - it takes about 15-20 minutes for the car to reach what I consider a comfortable temperature on a hot day (LOW set on both sides). The Vectra gets chilly in about 3 minutes and I even had to turn the temperature up a bit to prevent getting frostbite in my toes !

Additionally I always open all windows from the keyfob just to let the main heat build up out before I get in (and close them again to allow the a/c to work ;))

I think I will ask Audi to take a look, just in case there are any improvements they can make - by the looks of things its slow response isn't normal?

Cheers.

Steve.

nrwilliams35
27-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Hiya - just had exact same problem with my 2008 tdi multi. I only really noticed that the aircon was not working last week with that heatwave. Took it in to my dealer who said the sensor has bust and released all the aircon gas - new part on order and that will take till the 10th June before they can cure it. It will take 3 hours work ????

oh and by the way - on the way to the dealer my particulate filter warning light came on and car went into 'limp home' mode. they said again sensor faulty and fixed it whilst i waited.

Now i am just hoping we don't get another heatwave before it is fixed

Cheers/Nic

Paul.693
28-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Except for malfunctions, maybe the best idea is to use the air all year round as aircon services ain't cheap { remember this is Audi :biglaugh:}!
My mate has an '05 Passat with 165000 miles and never had air serviced- just used all the time with NO problems in that time

a8 tech
28-05-2010, 09:05 PM
the a/c system sends a small duty cycle signal to the compressor to constantly circulate the gas so its always running but at a reduced rate to prevent natural wasteage

As for the B8 repairs the sensor takes 10 minuets to replace not 3 hours, the front does not need to be removed to access the sensor
the sensor has a shreader valve so you do not need to degas to remove
the wire break (open circuit) is by far the most common failure and also affects ambient temp sensor

sounds like some dealers are spouting ******** about the causes and labour to repair.

This week I have repaired three broken lin bus wires for the a/c pressure sensor

gibbyd
29-05-2010, 09:09 AM
Not so sure why the front needs to come of your B8 but I can tell you what common faults they suffer

B8 A4 & A5

1 pressure sensor defective and a modified sensor replacement resolves the issue.
2 the Lin bus wire breaks (open circuit), often in the wiring loom near the central electrics control unit or in the loom on the nsf inner wing.

Once the problem is resolved then the a/c works very affectively.

All fixed :D But know it stinks when its on:( So now am cool but stink:confused::confused::confused:

thescouselander
30-05-2010, 10:10 AM
I had noticed the aircon wasn't that great last week. Mine blows cold air out but it does take ages to cool down. As it happens my BMW was the same. I've been told this is a cultural thing and that the Germans don't like aggressive air conditioning.

A8 tech - do you know how many degrees the aircon should cool the air by when it is working properly?

I agree with what's been said about the vectra though, my old man had one and it would freeze you solid in a millisecond. Maybe vauxhall just spec their aircon units a bit higher.

a8 tech
30-05-2010, 12:36 PM
the a/c is regulated so driver don't suddenly get whacked in the face with cold air so audi uses road speed and ambient readings to control the temp.
The temp in the cabin can vary but see the graph for a rough idea

A - Air temperature
B - Ambient temperature
C - Permissible tolerance range
Depending on the ambient temperature, the measured air temperature must be within the stated tolerance range -C- after 5 minutes.

expect to see approx. 2 to 5 °C at the vents

a8 tech
30-05-2010, 12:44 PM
All fixed :D But know it stinks when its on:( So now am cool but stink:confused::confused::confused:

wash your feet more frequently and apply a good a/c detergent to clean the system followed by a good clean out your vehicle and turn the recirc off

lol

thescouselander
30-05-2010, 08:36 PM
the a/c is regulated so driver don't suddenly get whacked in the face with cold air so audi uses road speed and ambient readings to control the temp.
The temp in the cabin can vary but see the graph for a rough idea

A - Air temperature
B - Ambient temperature
C - Permissible tolerance range
Depending on the ambient temperature, the measured air temperature must be within the stated tolerance range -C- after 5 minutes.

expect to see approx. 2 to 5 °C at the vents

Thanks for the info!

I checked mine with an IR thermometer I had lying round - it was spot on with 2 degrees at the centre vents after a minute or so - the others were higher but falling so I assume they would have got there eventually.

I still think it took a while to cool down in the hot weather though but I guess thats just the way the car is.

a8 tech
30-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Yes they would get there as you no doubt tested the temp at idle.
Try again after holding the revs at 2000 rpm for 5 to 10 mins and you will see the temp will be the same at the rest of the vents.

markp306
10-06-2010, 12:41 PM
Service Dept just called to say 'no fault found' and low temperature as expected. They didn't want to service the system either as it most likely would make no difference.

On a longer run (60 miles) to the New Forest during last Friday's hot spell, the system again struggled to cool the car (athough my left hand was nicely chilled). The fan was running at higher speeds for much of the journey! I just hope we don't hit 30C or more again this year. I don't think the fan can go fast enough!

Next time we have a hot spell (?) I will take it off 'auto' and see if I can get a better effect with manual air distribution.

slineallen
10-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Mine has now been into my dealer as it was only warm air coming out and as a8tech said it was the pressure switch at fault.

derekm
14-07-2010, 03:37 PM
My AC quit working at the weekend. I got in the car started it up and turned the temps to LO and it was working fine for a few secs, then I noticed what i can only describe as kind of like white gas coming from under the bonnet from the grill as the car was stationary.

Almost immediately the air temp coming from the vents started to get warmer and there was no further cooling.

So im guessing it has lost all its gas for some reason and thats what i saw comming out of the grill?

Would a faulty sensor cause the system to loss the gass and produce the white smoke/gas I saw coming out from the from grill?

Its booked in next week.