PDA

View Full Version : New to audi, time to decide.

RMH1
18-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Hi, as you can see by the thread title i'm new to the audi badge.

Little history about me i've spent the last fours years as a honda S2000 owner but that has now gone and it's time to scratch the audi itch i've had for a few years.

Anyway i've narrowed it down to 2 tdi models

S-line 140bhp

S-line quattro 170bhp

As i know very little about the a4 can someone give any real world advise on the difference between these two models and anything i should watch out for.

I did go and have a look at an s-line quattro at the weekend but it had so many dents and dinks to the body i walked away.
Going to look at a 2.0tdi s-line this weekend.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

stevesnaz
18-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Depends on your priorities:

Performance vs fuel consumption.
Avant vs saloon.

Are you going to be doing a lot of miles?

I'm guessing that your preference is performance if you've had an S2000 for the last few years.

You'll see from my signature what I went for and I'm very pleased with it. Although I've not had a 170, I know the mpg is a lot less than the 140.

RMH1
18-05-2010, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the speedy reply stevesnaz,

Its going to be a second car used mainly for weekends so fuel consumption is not a major issue also coming from the S2000 which i could empty the 50 litre tank in 220 miles easily i'm sure the quattro won't be that bad.:D

The other thing is how much is it to have cruise control fitted as it seems like it's pot look if they have it fitted or not. can anyone on here do it ?

Thanks

darich
18-05-2010, 08:29 PM
RMH1

I was similar to you recently - had a 3.0 Z4 and changed to Audi but was more keen on keeping something with similar performance.
I went for a 2.0T fsi Quattro SLine SE. Lovely car and averages around 31mpg. I can get about an extra 100miles from a tank compared to the Z4 but the tank is bigger - it works out about the same mpg wise.

Cruise control - I had mine retro fitted but Shark90. Otherwise known as Shark Performance. Great job and got a remap at the same time so I've increased from the standard 216bhp to around 255bhp.

Would recommend Shark (aka Ben) if you're thiking of cruise control as a retro fit. Genuine Audi parts and probably did it no more than 30mins.

PS I considered the S2000 before the Z4 but went for the larger engine. Z4 could easily get 350miles from a tank, although with REALLY careful and boring driving i could push that to around 450. Bloody boring though!!!

stevesnaz
18-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the speedy reply stevesnaz,

No worries. :biglaugh:

Its going to be a second car used mainly for weekends so fuel consumption is not a major issue also coming from the S2000 which i could empty the 50 litre tank in 220 miles easily i'm sure the quattro won't be that bad.:D

If fuel consumption is not an issue, I'd definitely go for the 170 Quattro. :D

The other thing is how much is it to have cruise control fitted as it seems like it's pot look if they have it fitted or not. can anyone on here do it ?

I'm thinking about having cruise control retro fitted. It's worth looking around for the best price. As well as Shark, Hazzy Dayz (http://www.vwcruise.com/67.html) is also worth considering.

Let us know if you go for it.
:beerchug:

RMH1
18-05-2010, 09:12 PM
RMH1

I was similar to you recently - had a 3.0 Z4 and changed to Audi but was more keen on keeping something with similar performance.
I went for a 2.0T fsi Quattro SLine SE. Lovely car and averages around 31mpg. I can get about an extra 100miles from a tank compared to the Z4 but the tank is bigger - it works out about the same mpg wise.

Cruise control - I had mine retro fitted but Shark90. Otherwise known as Shark Performance. Great job and got a remap at the same time so I've increased from the standard 216bhp to around 255bhp.

Would recommend Shark (aka Ben) if you're thiking of cruise control as a retro fit. Genuine Audi parts and probably did it no more than 30mins.

PS I considered the S2000 before the Z4 but went for the larger engine. Z4 could easily get 350miles from a tank, although with REALLY careful and boring driving i could push that to around 450. Bloody boring though!!!
Funny that i looked at the Z4 before the s2000 :D

Top info thanks .i'm not that bothered by matchhing the performance i had before i just want something i don't have to ring its neck to get the best out of it.

The only probem going for the tdi quattro is it narrows down my search i've seen 4 for sale recently and the closest is 140 miles away:mad:

Thanks for the cruise control info and what's even better is there not to far from me :approve: i think i'll drop shark90 a pm.
Nice performace figures out of your by the way.

Stevesnaz i'll keep you posted if or when i get it done as it will be the first thing i do after purchase.
:beerchug:

winnie070383
18-05-2010, 09:32 PM

Thanks
there is a guy on here under the name of a8 tech, he fitted my cruise control and DIS and did a superb job, knows his way around Audi's better than anybody else i no :approve: and he is pretty local to you, :drive:

RMH1
19-05-2010, 07:05 AM
there is a guy on here under the name of a8 tech, he fitted my cruise control and DIS and did a superb job, knows his way around Audi's better than anybody else i no :approve: and he is pretty local to you, :drive:

Thanks for that it's good to see there are a few people that can do this.

dazza106
19-05-2010, 09:21 AM

A8tech is the best man for the Job IMO!!

Nice guy, helpful and an Audi Master Tech!! what more could you want....

darich
19-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Funny that i looked at the Z4 before the s2000 :D

Top info thanks .i'm not that bothered by matchhing the performance i had before i just want something i don't have to ring its neck to get the best out of it.

The reason I went for the Z4 is that I didn't want to be revving the car to 6k plus to get decent performance from it. The vtec engine is superb but maybe I'm getting a bit old for driving my cars and hitting 8k revs!!!

Don't get me wrong - I sometimes give it some stick but the Z4 had very similar performance figures, loads more torque and a 6 cylinder engine. Don't regret it but I never drove an S2000 so I'm basing my opinion on numbers and theory! :)

Getting my car remapped was a great move. Can cruise past many cars now without having to drop a gear and since I've debadged it, the only giveaway to the power is the 2 tail pipes.

Just the way I like it!

:D

RMH1
19-05-2010, 06:26 PM
A8tech is the best man for the Job IMO!!

Nice guy, helpful and an Audi Master Tech!! what more could you want....

:fing02: Sounds like a good man to know , can you tell me where he is based and does he come on the forum often.

Darich,totally hear where your coming from that is the main reason i'm changing and i've been a fan of audi for a number of years.
The S2000 had no torque at all but between 6k-9k 240bhp with that chassis it was a scream but hardwork.

I think even the s-line 2.0tdi 140bhp will have much more low down than i've been used to, i could always have that mapped upto 170bhp the same as the tdi quattro without the extra £££ for tax and insurance.

Nice figures your getting and i've always been a fan of stealth :D.

fourringsrus
19-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Keep chatting ,you'll need 10 posts in order to pm the aforementioned, and for the record as others have said ,TOP TECH A8 Tech

RMH1
19-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Keep chatting ,you'll need 10 posts in order to pm the aforementioned, and for the record as others have said ,TOP TECH A8 Tech

:biggthump thanks for that , and only 2 to go.:D

winnie070383
19-05-2010, 09:40 PM
a8 is based near haydock i think and will travel to you for a small cost :D

Ben
19-05-2010, 09:44 PM
hi,

i have a 2.0 tdi s-line avant and i had my cruise fitted by a8 tech. He is located just outside wigan.

being a mod i'm impartial, i've not yet had the pleasure of experiencing shark performances' service.

I can recommend A8, but other people are available.

RMH1
19-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Beer tokens always do the trick. :)

In reply to winnie070382

RMH1
19-05-2010, 09:52 PM
hi,

i have a 2.0 tdi s-line avant and i had my cruise fitted by a8 tech. He is located just outside wigan.

being a mod i'm impartial, i've not yet had the pleasure of experiencing shark performances' service.

I can recommend A8, but other people are available.

Hi ben thanks for that A8 seems to have alot of happy customers as do shark performance , i've not actually got a car yet so i may get one with it already fitted but it good to know i have options .

RMH1
25-05-2010, 08:58 PM
looks like a change of plan i'm now looking for a 2.0tdi s line cabriolet :)

winnie070383
25-05-2010, 09:11 PM
looks like a change of plan i'm now looking for a 2.0tdi s line cabriolet :)
:D things a few hot days make you do :D i do prefer the dashboard in the cabriolet

RMH1
25-05-2010, 09:17 PM
:D things a few hot days make you do :D i do prefer the dashboard in the cabriolet

:biglaugh: a mixture of that and the other half saying how good she would look in one :D

I do miss my old one.

Got a test drive of one from a VW dealer on saturday.:)

stevesnaz
26-05-2010, 04:33 AM
:biglaugh: a mixture of that and the other half saying how good she would look in one :D

Funny how much influence the missus can have!!!...I only said to mine this weekend that she should get a cabriolet. :D

RMH1
05-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Hi again, so i've sorted out where to get cruise control and dis if i need to, can anyone give me a cost of a cambelt change for 2.0tdi audi and indi price, are there any good independents in the midlands. Thanks

stevesnaz
06-06-2010, 07:40 AM
Sorry, I'm down South in Hampshire.

Puresilk
06-06-2010, 12:04 PM
If i was buying now id go for the 170 Quattro and then get it remapped!

Something about the quattro makes me want one even though MPG might not be that great!

RMH1
21-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Well, after many months of looking and test drive's i have finally got my first audi .

A4 2.0 tdi s-line cabriolet 2006 in dark blue (can't remember the exact coulour)

To say i'm happy after the 160 mile trip home is an understatement .

More details later:D:D

RMH1
22-06-2010, 08:04 PM
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8924&stc=1&d=1277233416

RMH1
22-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Ok as it seems so quiet on here of late with the good weather , i'm currently stuck at work in london so i'll ask some questions now and hopefully get some feedback before i go home at the weekend .

1) A8TECH is he still on here and does he still do retro fitting , I want him to do my cruise control asap.

2) the previous owner mentioned (i think) that the car had bluetooth if i press the menu key on the steering wheel i get no function in the dis display , so how do i find out if it has got it or not.And if not can A8 retro fit a oem bluetooth unit.

3) staying with audio i think i read the concert 2(again i think ) unit will not play mp3 cd's if this is true can i add an aux connection to plug my mp3 into.

Thanks for any help.

urbanaspect
22-06-2010, 10:48 PM
Not sure where the bluetooth unit and mic are fitted exactly but you could always search for your car as a bluetooth device...

I think you have about a minute to pair after turning the ignition key...

MalcQV
23-06-2010, 11:07 AM
The car looks well. I do like the A4 cab very much.

johnpen
23-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Audi charge £349 for a cambelt on a 2.0TDI http://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/servicing-with-audi/affordable-servicing.html not sure if you could get much cheaper via an indi

RMH1
23-06-2010, 03:47 PM
The car looks well. I do like the A4 cab very much.

Cheers, it has taken me 6 months to find it i'm also into detailing so it's only going to get better.

Thanks johnpen, not as bad a price as i was expecting .

RMH1
01-07-2010, 09:56 PM
Right first upgrade going on this weekend as A8 is fitting my cruise control. :)
He has also advised me about fiscon which i'm interested in , i've read about the fiscon basic unit which i will have to have as i have a concert II stereo fitted; the bluetooth is meant to be very good and i can see all the call deatials in the dis display on this unit so so far so good.
The fiscon also allows music streaming via A2DP bluetooth , but i have read somewhere its only in mono is this true ?

Anyone had or got one of these fitted and can give me real world pros and cons.

The bottom line is i want bluetooth hand free with information in the dis and control from mfsw.
Also to play music from my mp3 or my phone(as above with bluetooth)

Many thanks.

MFGF
02-07-2010, 08:57 AM
are there any good independents in the midlands. Thanks

Hi,

Which part of Staffs are you in? One of the UK's best independents is C&R Enterprises in Nottingham - look up Crasher on this site and you will see how knowledgable he is. If you're in the Stoke/Burton area, it shouldn't be too far for you to travel.

If you're in North Staffs, I will look out for your car at weekends! :)

Cheers!

MF.

mcmolloy
03-07-2010, 11:03 AM
Right first upgrade going on this weekend as A8 is fitting my cruise control. :)
He has also advised me about fiscon which i'm interested in , i've read about the fiscon basic unit which i will have to have as i have a concert II stereo fitted; the bluetooth is meant to be very good and i can see all the call deatials in the dis display on this unit so so far so good.
The fiscon also allows music streaming via A2DP bluetooth , but i have read somewhere its only in mono is this true ?

Anyone had or got one of these fitted and can give me real world pros and cons.

The bottom line is i want bluetooth hand free with information in the dis and control from mfsw.
Also to play music from my mp3 or my phone(as above with bluetooth)

Many thanks.

Yes the fiscon basic music streaming is mono sound.I have never used this feature on it because the sound quality is so rubbish.
My kit has never been able to load up the phone book.It may have been not installed or programmed correctly im not sure,but to be honest its not a high quality piece of kit considering the high price.
Also you can't pair more than one phone to it at the same time.
The £35 nokia kit that i installed in my wifes focus works better.

Maybe some other owners have had better luck with it.

RMH1
03-07-2010, 01:30 PM
MFGF, thanks for that good to know that there are some trusted indipendants out there and not to far from me, i'll give them a call come service date.:)

mcmolloy, thanks for the info must say i'm a bit dissapointed as i thought the fiscon was a good unit, time to start looking again, i do have some kind of mobile kit fitted already with a craddle fixed to the dash next to the stereo the microphone is up by the interior light .

Anyone have any ideas for me to get the results i'm after IE handsfree mobile with info in the dis and to play music from mp3 or phone (NON IPHONE) through the concert II unit i have.

Thanks

RMH1
04-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Had cruise control fitted today by A8 you can tell he has done this many times before :D top man works perfect.

Anyone know if shark90 (ben) is still about just tried to pm him and his inbox is full so won't except anymore pm's, also went on shark perfomace website to try and email him and i get a server error had that for a few days now.
Anyone know where he is .

Cheers

MFGF
05-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Anyone know if shark90 (ben) is still about just tried to pm him and his inbox is full so won't except anymore pm's, also went on shark perfomace website to try and email him and i get a server error had that for a few days now.
Anyone know where he is .

Hi,

Given the website's apparent technical problems, it's probably worth giving them a call. Their number is 0871 2211 281 (or 07824 776709 mobile). You should get a discount for being a forum member too.

Regards,

MF.

RMH1
05-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Hi,

Given the website's apparent technical problems, it's probably worth giving them a call. Their number is 0871 2211 281 (or 07824 776709 mobile). You should get a discount for being a forum member too.

Regards,

MF.

Tried ringing them all day but got no answer :(

shark_90
08-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Hi

We're still around but haven't been on this forum for some time. We were alerted to a problem with the email contact form yesterday which has now been fixed, but I'm a little concerned to hear that you were calling the office all day but didn't get an answer? I've been in the office personally every day this week, and while we might miss the odd call if we're all busy, there's no way it should be missed more than once (and there is an answering machine).

If no one answers please do leave a message, and if you'd like to PM me now my inbox is now empty.

Cheers and apologies.

RMH1
09-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Thanks Ben , pm sent.:)

RMH1
12-10-2010, 08:13 PM
http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab287/Motogp2/Misal/IMAG0038-1.jpg

Can anyone please tell what colour my car is , yes i know its blue ;) but what blue.

Log book says blue , i'm not near the car so can't get the colour code off the plate.

Thanks.

Lateknight
13-10-2010, 01:21 AM
Nice Cab' :biglaugh:

Looks like Moro Blue.

Have a look inside the front cover of the service record booklet. There 'should' be a copy of your vehicle data sticker. About half way down the left edge of the sticker should be a four digit code starting with L___

Moro Blue is LZ5J

The sticker should also be found under the boot carpet, stuck to the spare wheel well.

RMH1
13-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Thanks , ill take a look when I return home .