PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Suspension Upgrade!

Murphy
18-05-2010, 02:54 AM
You mates have always been more helpful that the ******* here on my side of the pond, so I'll let you in on a cheap mod to your suspension that's a nice one!

I carry a fair spot of kit in the trunk, being a locksmith, and got tired of the boot end dragging and the like going over any kind of a bump or pothole.

So-I got a pair of rear springs off a 92 Passat wagon, nipped off a turn of the spring on the top end, and put it all together on my 98 Jetta GLS.

Big difference! Gave me back my full ground clearance, and the car rides 1" (25mm) higher than level in the back with about 100 kg of gear in the boot!

Hell, for that matter, I can actually put four adults in the car without worry, too!

Cheers to all here, Murph :beerchug:

Murphy
18-05-2010, 02:57 AM
You mates have always been more helpful that the jackoffs here on my side of the pond, so I'll let you in on a cheap mod to your suspension that's a nice one!

I carry a fair spot of kit in the trunk, being a locksmith, and got tired of the boot end dragging and the like going over any kind of a bump or pothole.

So-I got a pair of rear springs off a 92 Passat wagon, nipped off a turn of the spring on the top end, and put it all together on my 98 Jetta GLS.

Big difference! Gave me back my full ground clearance, and the car rides 1" (25mm) higher than level in the back with about 100 kg of gear in the boot!

Hell, for that matter, I can actually put four adults in the car without worry, too!

Cheers to all here, Murph :beerchug:

Murphy
18-05-2010, 02:59 AM
Alright, so I know my car, but can't edit my posts worth a tinker.

hairypothead87
17-05-2011, 04:33 PM
chopin spring int worth thinkin about at all id run mine stock all its life over chopin springs thats just shaddy stop bein cheap and do it the safe way

Murphy
18-05-2011, 02:17 AM
Shortening springs isn't unusual here, or unsafe, either.

It's also not being cheap or shady, when the only springs available here on our side of the pond are those crappy lowering springs.

And since it's on my own car, where the 'eff do you get off making any kind of judgement?

Murphy