PDA

View Full Version : Baby Car Seat Advice --

RickT
16-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Baby Car Seat Advice --

Hello,

Im sure a few of you are parents and currently have a little one, Im looking at getting a new car seat for my little lad at some point, (hes 8 months old)

Currently he's in a Max Cosi Isofix Infant car seat and will of out grown that in a few months, hence why looking for a forward facing car seat.

Having read a lot of reviews, theres loads to choose from with good ratings etc, but thought I would ask the question here to get some real "end user" advice..

The car seat has to be ISOFIX for safety reason, rate well in tests etc and be able to cope with the demand of been used daily for the next few years..

So far... i have been looking at the following:-

Britax Safe Fix Plus - Jet

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41SYQR6%2B5mL._SX315_SY375_PImothercare24percentof f,BottomRight,-10,-10_SX315_SY375_.jpg

STM Twin One Carseat - Graphite Grey (Light Grey/Dark Grey)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41u7ddre59L._SX315_SY375_.jpg

Im open to suggestions etc with the models you have got and like..

Any Advice..

Cheers

Rick

fat controller
16-05-2010, 09:59 PM
I can whole-heartedly recommend the Maxi Cosi Priorifix (http://www.preciouslittleone.com/product-information/37/5491/maxi-cosi-priorifix-isofix-car-seat---formula-black/) seat. Comfortable for wee one, uber-safe, and seems to be extremely well constructed.

If you are anywhere near a Mothercare World, pop along and ask if they've got one you can try - they are really helpful, and are more than happy to bring a seat out and try it for fit in your car.

Ben
16-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Hi.

we use the primo vaggio iso fix from mamas and papas.

We have also had to upgrade the seating situation.

we bought the vito forward facing car seat which uses the same isofix base that the rear facing seat used. It also came with a base incase you need to put it in a car which doesn't have isofix.

Warning though. before purchase, check that the new forward facing seat actually fits to the base, DO NOT take the shops say so.

Our forward facing seat didn't fit. The had changed the design of the base. We got a free exchange so we got a new modified base.

I find securing the seat on the isofix base is very good, but i also use the seatbelt in addition with the isofix - it holds it just that bit firmer

phil miller
16-05-2010, 10:30 PM
mama and papa are a trusted brand, atm i share mine with the ex her car isnt new enought so we have the seat belt type, tbh if your happy with the snug ness of the seat fitted then it up to you on the brand, id say stick to a named brand

DropKickMurphy
16-05-2010, 10:38 PM
I'll second what Fat Controller says, we have 2 maxi cosi forward facing seats for our baby daughter and they are fantastic!

i dont know the exact model as we got them 2nd hand from a friend of my wife's but i'd say they are very secure and easy to fit and remove when necessary.

what i would suggest is to try one our at mothercare by all means, but would STRONGLY suggest writing down the make and model and then looking around for cheaper prices. IMHO mothercare mark everything up at least 50% compared to other retailers because of the 'awww, its so sweet, lets buy it!' factor.

DKM

RickT
17-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Cheers Guys,

The new Maxi cosi range does look good, but the prices are crazy with the new style of bases... you have to buy the seat... then the base for £130 too!!

We already have a Maxi Cosi seat and ISOFIX base, but... like all new models, these dont fit each other!

Going over to Mothercare "World" this week and going tio try some... then try and buy else where if the prices are higher!

Also..... the other day in M&P's I saw a rubber mat which goes under / onto of the seat and backrest to protect the car seat.. M&P's only had a display model and could not find a code for it...

Anyone got on of these and where from?? would just like to protect them leather seats!

Rick

Hex69
17-05-2010, 12:05 PM
Cheers Guys,

The new Maxi cosi range does look good, but the prices are crazy with the new style of bases... you have to buy the seat... then the base for £130 too!!

We already have a Maxi Cosi seat and ISOFIX base, but... like all new models, these dont fit each other!

Going over to Mothercare "World" this week and going tio try some... then try and buy else where if the prices are higher!

Also..... the other day in M&P's I saw a rubber mat which goes under / onto of the seat and backrest to protect the car seat.. M&P's only had a display model and could not find a code for it...

Anyone got on of these and where from?? would just like to protect them leather seats!

Rick

x 3 on the Maxicosi Priori, http://www.maxi-cosi.com/ot-en/carseats/toddler/priori-xp

What people don't understand is that ISOFIX has been designed to make seat easier to fix, NOT safer. I.e. a car seat that has been properly fixed using the seatbelts is as safe as one that's been fixed using ISOFIX. The reason ISOFIX was invented I believe is that a lot of people were not using the seatbelt fixings correctly, and that ISOFIX is designed to eliminate that by ensuring that the seat cannot be fixed wrongly. However as I said earlier correctly fitted the seatbelt option is as safe as ISOFIX.

HTH Hex :D

Sam
17-05-2010, 12:18 PM
http://www.recaro-seats.co.uk/child-seats/index.php

RickT
17-05-2010, 11:14 PM
Yeah.. ISOFIX is only safer as it elimates the risk of fitting it wrong...

Has anyone got one of these.... thinking it may do the trick to protect the leather!

http://mamasandpapas.scene7.com/is/image/mamasandpapas/ProductImageTemplate?$mainImg=is%7Bmamasandpapas%2 F883425300%3Fscl%3D1%7D&$bottomLeft=is%7Bmamasandpapas%2F%3Fscl%3D1%7D&$bottomRight=is%7Bmamasandpapas%2F%3Fscl%3D1%7D&$topLeft=is%7Bmamasandpapas%2Fnew09%3Fscl%3D1%7D&$topRight=is%7Bmamasandpapas%2F%3Fscl%3D1%7D&$large_img$

http://www.mamasandpapas.com/product-prince-lionheart-two-stage-seatsaver/883425300/type-i/

Rick

emzipoo4u
20-05-2010, 07:51 PM
Check out recaro child seats, look good and are
isofix compatible.

NickPicks
20-05-2010, 10:09 PM
I've got 2 maxi cosi Rodi XP / XR.

Before that, we had 2 Maxi cosi Priori XPs.

We bought maxi cosi because they got the best score in the Which report, but to be honest, all car seat on sale have passed the standard safety tests, so they should all be suitable.

I think there's a lot of "But this one must be safer because it's more expensive" type marketing, and where kids' safety is concerned, parents will spend anything.

RickT
21-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Going to a few shops at the weekend (again) to try and find the right seat..

Rick

RickT
21-05-2010, 10:47 AM

Has anyone got one of these.... thinking it may do the trick to protect the leather!

http://mamasandpapas.scene7.com/is/image/mamasandpapas/ProductImageTemplate?$mainImg=is%7Bmamasandpapas%2 F883425300%3Fscl%3D1%7D&$bottomLeft=is%7Bmamasandpapas%2F%3Fscl%3D1%7D&$bottomRight=is%7Bmamasandpapas%2F%3Fscl%3D1%7D&$topLeft=is%7Bmamasandpapas%2Fnew09%3Fscl%3D1%7D&$topRight=is%7Bmamasandpapas%2F%3Fscl%3D1%7D&$large_img$

http://www.mamasandpapas.com/product-prince-lionheart-two-stage-seatsaver/883425300/type-i/

Rick

Has anyone got one of the above or silmair ?

Think i may get one...

Rick

NickPicks
21-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Has anyone got one of the above or silmair ?

Think i may get one...

Rick

I don't have one, and didn't find it a problem with the smaller seats, but now their feet dangle out of the front of the seat, my 7 year old tends to shuffle his feet about on the car seat, the fabric has developed a straggly fluff. I just keep telling him to put his feet down.

Embisix
21-05-2010, 11:52 AM

Rick

I use one of these with my daughter's Recaro Young Sport (not Isofix, but solid as rock!). It's an awesome seat!

The seat protector works a treat, does exactly what it says on the tin. It fits the backrest perfectly and the bottom section is larger than the child seat base, meaning the odd spill doesn't reach the leather.

I know you're looking for Isofix, but you should seriously consider the Recaro Young Sport (I believe there is an Isofix base for this anyway). For the money, it really is the mutt's and grows with your child, all the way up to about 10-12 years. This is probably the only seat you'll ever need. It's also fairly narrow (externally) so has a relatively small footprint and will fit your A4 really well.

One last point, Recaro do know a thing or two about making seats.

RickT
21-05-2010, 01:04 PM
I use one of these with my daughter's Recaro Young Sport (not Isofix, but solid as rock!). It's an awesome seat!

The seat protector works a treat, does exactly what it says on the tin. It fits the backrest perfectly and the bottom section is larger than the child seat base, meaning the odd spill doesn't reach the leather.

I know you're looking for Isofix, but you should seriously consider the Recaro Young Sport (I believe there is an Isofix base for this anyway). For the money, it really is the mutt's and grows with your child, all the way up to about 10-12 years. This is probably the only seat you'll ever need. It's also fairly narrow (externally) so has a relatively small footprint and will fit your A4 really well.

One last point, Recaro do know a thing or two about making seats.

Cheers for this,

I will take a look at it,,

By the way... the A4 has now gone.... replaced with a E60 - :D

Rick

Hex69
21-05-2010, 01:18 PM
By the way... the A4 has now gone.... replaced with a E60 - :D

Rick

Boooooo......................:moon:

Aldicko
12-06-2010, 09:29 PM
Can't recomend the Recaro's highly enough. Have 2 of them look the dogs and feel realy good. Can see why any kid would want to sleep in them. As someone said they have been making seats for a long time, one of the reasons we bought ours. Lots of places do them but have yet to find outlet that stocks them. Website good though and we bought direct and got discount cos we bought 2. Not the cheapest of seats but I think you get what you pay for.

Cheers
Allan

bundao
20-06-2010, 12:24 AM
When I was looking for car seats for my little one I came across some info about using rear facing car seats until 4 years old.
http://www.rearfacing.co.uk/
Once I'd read about it, I couldn't bring myself to get a (cheaper!) forward facing one.
We bought the besafe izi combi x3 isofix http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplayA_936_10751_-1__85865_10001_ for just under £250 (after some cashback through quidco)
Its a great seat, but not for small cars.

desmayhew
20-06-2010, 10:49 AM
Has anyone got a baby/child seat solution for the back of a mk1 Golf Cabrio (lap belts). I've got a 5 year old and a 2 year old.

Has anyone retro fitted 3 point belts (were an option but hellish expensive) or iso fix points?

Currently my 5 year old sits in the front on a simple booster with the 3 point. and I use a britax isofix for my 2 year old using the lap belt (very tight and locked with a ratchet strap round the top) it's secure, but not 100% happy.

RickT
11-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Hi,

Just to let you know, In the end up I got 2 (yes 2!) of the Maxi Cosi PrioriFix (ISOFIX)

http://autokreslini.lv/images/priorifix_12.jpg

So far, a great seat for the little one, and following reading a lot of the reviews, its one of the best out there.

Cheers

Rick

Richardlkay
11-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Just purchased 2x Britax Duo Plus ISOFIX seats.

Very good and easy to fit/remove. Highly recommended

pencil77
24-10-2010, 11:31 PM
Maxi Cosi is a good choice, we have 2 Britax Safe fix in our cars, we found the base was slightly longer and therefore supported our daughter better.
Isofix have been proved to be safer in crashes, and thats not just due to ease of fitement.

My wife is an Occupational Therapist working with disabled children so understands posture and seating etc, and found the Britax and Maxi-Cosi ranges the best, which coincides with them both being Which? best buys!