PDA

View Full Version : Question A3 Fuel guage intermittent fault

hud broad
16-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Hiya all, I have a 2001 audi A3 1.6 petrol with a intermittent fuel guage problem. The guage flickes up and down regardless of how much fuel there is in the tank. Just wondering if there is any known problem and a possible fix. Your help would be appreciated, cheeers hud

a8 tech
16-05-2010, 10:28 PM
If you have vcds then go to address 17 and run output test
The needle should sweep from empty to full then settle on the half tank point.
If it does not follow the above then the dash insert is defective
If it does then test the wiring from the dash to the sender for any mutual short or resistance above 0.30 ohms
Check the connectors and pins also for security and contact.
If the above is all ok replace the tank sender

hud broad
19-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Thanks for your quick response to my question. I haven't got vcds but a friend of mine has so will go through things as instructed, very helpful, much appreciated hud.

DMall21
28-05-2010, 05:06 PM
On a similar theme, I've just restarted my sons A3. The battery had gone flat so I needed to recharge it. I sorted out the electric windows and radio problems but the fuel gauge warning light is permanently on with the gauge showing full. I did fill the tank so I know its not short of fuel. Is there anything else to reset after a power out?
Dave

hud broad
29-05-2010, 07:57 AM
On a similar theme, I've just restarted my sons A3. The battery had gone flat so I needed to recharge it. I sorted out the electric windows and radio problems but the fuel gauge warning light is permanently on with the gauge showing full. I did fill the tank so I know its not short of fuel. Is there anything else to reset after a power out?
Dave

Think you will need to run the diagnostics software to reset any fault codes showing.

DMall21
29-05-2010, 09:18 AM
Thanks Hud, I suspected it might not be a question of pushing a few buttons but still keeping my fingers crossed that it's not the sender unit that's failed. Dave