PDA

View Full Version : Buying An A4 TDI With Around 100K Miles What To Look For?

wokeye
15-05-2010, 07:42 PM
Hi I am new here just thought I would ask a few questions. Due to my wife neglecting me after a major knee operation and also sleeping with another man at the same time, I have decided to part company. She has also taken my car but I am pretty screwed as it is a marital asset as we have a very young daughter. Anyway it's a Focus TDCI, not bad but not ideally what I would choose. Anyway I am looking for another car and after a bit of research I thought that a VAG TDI would be the way to go. The A4 is my favourite, second the bland Octavia, although that is very dull and are still pricey. My budget would be 5.5K max. And looking around for a model that is not ancient I believe that I would be looking at a car with around 100K miles. I am just looking for a saloon 130 BHP or more. Just wondered are there any known issues with these car's assuming that it has been serviced fully and is a good one. I am not that clued up on diesels, do what should I be looking for, I am guessing that smoke is a big clue. I am very good with car's, but that was petrol's and I have owned Nissan's (when they were Nissan's not French garbage) and also Honda's. As such as I have had virtually trouble free motoring. But petrol is far to expensive so hence the diesel. I have read that these engines are capable of mega mileages if maintained and treated correctly. But what about the other parts of the car? Gearboxes are always where I have first noticed issues, usually just noises that stay fine for ages. But I have had one go once on a Micra. What are they like for the A4 in say around a 2002-2003 model? I am not interested in an automatic by the way. Any help would be greatly apprecited thankyou?

DBSK
16-05-2010, 09:03 AM
The TDIs are good engines, make sure its been serviced properly including Cam Belt and water pump fairly recently or else factor that into the costs (c£250)

One thing with any high mileage cars is the clutch, make sure it isnt slipping and doesn't judder (a little judder can be know when first moving the car or also when slipping the clutch yourself)

Gearbox's are bullet proof, but the 6 speed can be a little notchy.

Check for clicking from the engine bay when you first start the car (knackered a/c pump c£500 for a new pump)

Multitronic (auto) gear box's are problematic so i would personally stay away.

Apart from all that, great cars, just push every button and make sure everything works.

:beerchug:

wokeye
16-05-2010, 06:19 PM
Cheers mate some great advice there. Nice to have an idea what I am looking for ;)

ghosty
17-05-2010, 09:31 AM
yes they are great cars, more solid than i would have ever expected.

you should be able to get a lot more for your money if you have around 5.5k to spend, something younger and with less than 100k i would have thought.

(my cars for sale soon if you want to spend less money than that, though its a 100bhp and not 130)