PDA

View Full Version : brake judder after cv joints replaced

vwnige
15-05-2010, 11:18 AM
i have just had new cv joints and boots on my passat tdi sport..

The garage had a bit of a problem while doing the job as the ABS light came on after fitting the new joints..

They called me this morning to tell me it was all done and ready to go..

While driving it this afternoon the car makes an occasional grinding sound when i use the brakes, i can hear the sound and feel a slight vibration through the pedal..

It doesnt happen everytime i brake, it seems to be more when i brake slowly..

Anybody got any ideas, thanks to anybody who can help..

martin1810
15-05-2010, 12:36 PM
Sounds like garage have disturbed abs sensors. This is quite common after cv replacement.
I'm assuming you took it to the garage because you don't do these repairs yourself. If that's the case I suggest you take it back and ask them to sort it out.

tonyp1
17-05-2010, 09:20 PM
The ABS sensors on the wheel hub just normaly need a light tap with a mallet to seat them to the correct depth, it cured mine following a CV boot replacment.
Hope this helps.
Tony.

passat tdi130
18-05-2010, 03:18 PM
mine is doing exactly the same abs comes on on slowing i.e. set of traffic lights just as you come to a stop..!! durrrrrrr it goes pedal vibrates slightly

i have had my cv joints done not long ago as well i thought it was a bit of grease contamination on the pads..?? but after about 5 weeks or more its still doing it..!!

im due to have new pads soon so i will have a look at abs sensors

can you tell if they are not seated right or just have to guess

some one also mentioned to me that they are magnetic pickups and could have metal filings stuck to em as well..!!

anyone continue to help in this thread cheers

tonyp1
18-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Switch the engine on and turn the wheels to full lock, switch the engine off and make sure that the hand brake is fully on !! ,
At the wheel pointing outwards from the bodywork lay, on the floor and locate the sensor in the hub and tap into place with a couple of light blows.
The ABS sensor comes to a stop and can't go in any further.

Repeat for the other side. The problem seems to be that the sensor moves outward in its location and cannot read the rotating ABS ring on the hub the clearance is too great (you can’t see that bit as it's on the CV joint).
This worked for me.......let me know if it works for you, Good luck.

vwnige
22-05-2010, 12:01 AM
Thank you everybody for your help, i took it back to the garage and they adjusted the sensor slightly..

Its fine now.

gavbhoy
11-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Cheers Guys, Took it to a local transmission mob to change the cv and drive shaft and when I got back it was doing the slipping, shuddering at slow speed braking. Took it back and they checked the right spindles etc and said they did not know why it was doing it.

Took advice from here and turned both wheels full lock and located the sensors, gave them 2 slight tap ins with a wrench and hey presto all fixed and no shudders.

Much appreciated with Christmas round the corner.