PDA

View Full Version : advice/price on drive shaft gaiter VW Touran

repoker23
14-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Hi All,

Can one off you knowledgeable lads tell me how much you would expect to pay at a VW garage for “drive shaft boot rubber” me wife’s Touran failed the MOT today they said it was split. She phoned me at work with the price for this and I thought she was giving me their telephone number NO IT WAS THE PRICE

On the MOT it says “ Nearside Front constant velocity joint gaiter split (2.5.C.1a).

Not to good on the mechanical side of things so any advice I would be great full

VW Touran 2L Auto 2006

Thanks in advance

Crasher
14-05-2010, 09:36 PM
And what was the price?

Outer or inner joint?

repoker23
14-05-2010, 10:44 PM
And what was the price?

Outer or inner joint?

dont know which one "Outer or inner"

Price VW £232

Crasher
15-05-2010, 06:25 PM
It must be the outer and I get the boot kit as being 1K0 498 203 A, which is under £20 genuine. Genuine boots are made from Hytrel polyester elastomer, often pattern boots are made from inferior materials.

The outer CV joint can be removed without taking the driveshaft out of the car and it would take me about an hour to do the whole job. You would need ball joint nuts but everything else comes in the VW kit so I would charge about £80 to do that job. Taking into account that VAG labour is about £100 an hour I think £232 is a bit excessive, to me they are quoting two hours.

repoker23
15-05-2010, 08:24 PM
It must be the outer and I get the boot kit as being 1K0 498 203 A, which is under £20 genuine. Genuine boots are made from Hytrel polyester elastomer, often pattern boots are made from inferior materials.

The outer CV joint can be removed without taking the driveshaft out of the car and it would take me about an hour to do the whole job. You would need ball joint nuts but everything else comes in the VW kit so I would charge about £80 to do that job. Taking into account that VAG labour is about £100 an hour I think £232 is a bit excessive, to me they are quoting two hours.

Hi Crasher,

VW quoted £232 for repacement boot rubber, took it to a garage ( I Know) one minute from them who also do work for them, and got it done for £90 same day with VW part.
As VW are doing the MOT they also said brake pads all round need doing but not MOT failer 90% worn front and 80% worn rear at £320 to replace.
The garage who done the new rubber boot I ask them to check brakes and they said 50% worn all round, they also said the boot rubber would not be an MOT failer if they had done it only an advisery.

I had to take half day off work to sort this as it was my wifes car. Not realy sure if she would have had the work done if she was on her own.

Well this cerntainly opened my eyes and nearly my wallet big time..... had she not phoned me and agreed to the work.

Car needs to go back early next week for retest

Thanks for all replies

Regards

zollaf
15-05-2010, 09:27 PM
is £320 just for pads, or discs as well ???

repoker23
15-05-2010, 11:30 PM
is £320 just for pads, or discs as well ???

Just pads I think, the wife got the call from them (VW) and I think it was £160 front and £160 back.

Now if she got it wrong it may be £160 per corner.

So in for an MOT and I get a call from her in doors saying £232 plus £160 either times two or four.:aargh4:

at this point i am on the whisky :beerchug:

zollaf
16-05-2010, 10:11 AM
blimey, they know how to charge. i wouldnt get any work done by them, too expensive.