PDA

View Full Version : Question Anyone experience annoying rattle from drivers door?

mickey
14-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Have had a 2.0TDI Sport since 02/10 and have been back to garage 3 times now with an annoying rattle and looks like I'm going back for a 4th time in due course. I say annoying because it is more pronounced to the driver as it 'ticks/clicks' close to the ear coming from the driver's door.

So far it has been narrowed down to something to do with the door lock alignment or the trim on the B pillar and I think the garage has isolated the problem as each time I pick the car up again the noise stops but then gradually gets worse again over say a 2wk period-almost as if they have tightened something but it has worked it's way loose again.

When I took it back last time the guy at the garage said that he had had a similar problem with another Tiguan that same week which concerns me.

Is it a manufacturing fault? I think the door is slightly out of line [me being paranoid?] but the technician at the garage says that's impossible but he would say that wouldn't he!

Just interested to know if anyone else has experienced this problem. It won't stop me driving the car but I don't expect to have an annoying rattle on a brand new car considering what I paid for it!:aargh4:

33q
17-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Me too!

Clean the rubbers on the door frame and the door itself with a damp chamois (I used a man made one) ...it seems to work.

I don't know or understand why.

If this fails smear a little vaseline on the 'furry' part of the door seal. That worked on my previous BMW.

Let the board know how it goes.

mickey
21-05-2010, 08:56 PM
So far so good. I wiped the door frame and the door with a damp chamois but no change. So I tried the vaseline [ooh err missus] and so far the ticking has stopped but i wonder if this will last forever or only until the vaseline dries out? Do you have to keep re-applying?

You can imagine how i looked driving around my local roads stopping occassionally and whipping out the vaseline to rub a bit more to the door frame on the side of the road!

Probably find you've got me on a massive wind up!!

:biglaugh:

Mr Sewell
21-05-2010, 09:31 PM
You could'nt write it :biglaugh::biglaugh:

33q
23-05-2010, 07:59 AM
I think I will have to do my Tiguan too.

Glad it worked.

PORAGE
18-07-2010, 02:26 PM
So it's not just me, the 'ticks/clicks' are driving me nuts. I've had my door realigned and the lock striker replaced .......... BUT IT'S STILL THERE :aargh4:

Have had a 2.0TDI Sport since 02/10 and have been back to garage 3 times now with an annoying rattle and looks like I'm going back for a 4th time in due course. I say annoying because it is more pronounced to the driver as it 'ticks/clicks' close to the ear coming from the driver's door.

So far it has been narrowed down to something to do with the door lock alignment or the trim on the B pillar and I think the garage has isolated the problem as each time I pick the car up again the noise stops but then gradually gets worse again over say a 2wk period-almost as if they have tightened something but it has worked it's way loose again.

When I took it back last time the guy at the garage said that he had had a similar problem with another Tiguan that same week which concerns me.

Is it a manufacturing fault? I think the door is slightly out of line [me being paranoid?] but the technician at the garage says that's impossible but he would say that wouldn't he!

Just interested to know if anyone else has experienced this problem. It won't stop me driving the car but I don't expect to have an annoying rattle on a brand new car considering what I paid for it!:aargh4:

mickey
19-07-2010, 09:57 PM
PORAGE - The vaseline on the door rubbers worked for a little while but was only a temp fix unfortunately. I had the same treatment as you in previous visits to the garage -door lock alignment etc etc- but this time (the fourth time round) it's worked. Think it was something to do with the B pillar and the seat belt fixings - noise hasn't come back as yet but guess what...........now I've got the ****ing noise back on the passenger side (other side to previous rattle) - exactly the same rattle and location:aargh4: AAAAGH! Going back in again in 2 wks time for the fifth time to get fixed and hope it will be the last time. Seriously thinking twice about buying another VW but then my other car is a Passat and I have no trouble with that - lovely drive. Oh no, I've gone and said it - probably get a rattle with that now!!
I'll let you know how I get on.:mad:

So it's not just me, the 'ticks/clicks' are driving me nuts. I've had my door realigned and the lock striker replaced .......... BUT IT'S STILL THERE :aargh4:

PORAGE
19-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply. I hope this "fix" works for you. I've had a feeling it may be the seat belt in the "B" pillar that was causing the noise. I've tried moving the adjustable shoulder mount up and down thinking that changing the position may help - no chance. If you could find out what your dealer is doing to fix it, or let me know who they are, I'll ask my local dealer to look at the same fix for my car.

Thanks - and fingers crossed :D

Will

PORAGE - The vaseline on the door rubbers worked for a little while but was only a temp fix unfortunately. I had the same treatment as you in previous visits to the garage -door lock alignment etc etc- but this time (the fourth time round) it's worked. Think it was something to do with the B pillar and the seat belt fixings - noise hasn't come back as yet but guess what...........now I've got the ****ing noise back on the passenger side (other side to previous rattle) - exactly the same rattle and location:aargh4: AAAAGH! Going back in again in 2 wks time for the fifth time to get fixed and hope it will be the last time. Seriously thinking twice about buying another VW but then my other car is a Passat and I have no trouble with that - lovely drive. Oh no, I've gone and said it - probably get a rattle with that now!!
I'll let you know how I get on.:mad:

mickey
03-08-2010, 10:41 PM
Porage

Haven't forgotten you. Car was booked in for Monday but had to cancel as couldn't make appointment. Will get back to you as soon as I can work it in. Funny enough the rattle has stopped FTB but sure it will come back.

I'll let you know.

Mike

PORAGE
16-09-2010, 09:07 AM
I had to take mine in to the dealer as the "Turbo actuator" wasn't working :boggled:

I mentioned the rattle and they fixed it at the same time :D

mickey
16-09-2010, 07:06 PM
Hi Will

Thanks for your msg. Really spooky as I picked mine up from garage today having left it with them re the rattle and - fingers crossed - it seems fine so far but then it reappeared again 2wks after they fixed it last time.

Ironically they had the car longer this time as I also reported a squeaky driver seat - really bad going over speed humps - it never ends!

Let me know if your rattle comes back and we'll set up a protest outside both our dealers!

BFN
:biglaugh:

tcall1968
03-02-2011, 12:33 AM
I have the exact same problem compounded with a buzz from glove box door (which goes if I keep my hand up to it). Drivers sun visor won't stay in position either. Dealer adjusted glove box but now it's worse. Sprayed the door seal with a rubber lube ....seemed ok for a couple of days but now clicking is back. It does indeed seem to be at my ear in the B pillar. Waiting for new sun visor. Pretty fiat like if you ask me. After all VW make the vault like shut quality of it's doors a major quality indicator in it's marketing.

Tony

PORAGE
03-02-2011, 12:59 AM
I have the exact same problem compounded with a buzz from glove box door (which goes if I keep my hand up to it). Drivers sun visor won't stay in position either. Dealer adjusted glove box but now it's worse. Sprayed the door seal with a rubber lube ....seemed ok for a couple of days but now clicking is back. It does indeed seem to be at my ear in the B pillar. Waiting for new sun visor. Pretty fiat like if you ask me. After all VW make the vault like shut quality of it's doors a major quality indicator in it's marketing.

Tony

My dealer fixed the B pillar noise 1st try. I think VW techs know the problem and the cure - something to do with the seat belt assembly.

33q
03-02-2011, 11:39 AM
I finally fixed mine by spraying grease into the door latch mechanism. I picked this tip up from a guy with a new Polo....seems common on those too. It was the who did the work.
Give it a try.

mickey
03-02-2011, 10:02 PM

Tony
#
Hi Tony, my dealer has finally fixed it. When i quizzed him on it he said that VW had finally acknowledged that there was a wider problem on the model and had raised a "TP"order. I still dont know what that means or stands for but he explained it that basically they had sufficient queries (not complaints!) from customers to do something about it. Apparently they injected some sort of liquid rubber into the door seals and it has done the job. You might want to mention the "TP" thing to your dealer if he doesn't work his magic.

BTW still got the squeaky drivers seat (which the dealer couldn't replicate <how annoying> and I also have a sun visor that descends into my field of vision slowly whilst I am driving but on the basis that VW have had the car longer than I have in the first year of ownership and also that i am slowly losing the will to live then I haven't gone back to them.

Just have to accept second best. However just goes to show you that if enough people get together on forums like this that the message does eventually get through - power to the people!!

:beerchug:

fullbore
06-03-2011, 07:13 PM
I had to take mine in to the dealer as the "Turbo actuator" wasn't working :boggled:

I mentioned the rattle and they fixed it at the same time :D

Porage
Can you tell me what was the noise in the B pillar was and how did they fix it .
I ask as i have had my tiguan for a week and i have something rattling in the B piller.
regards
Fullbore

PORAGE
06-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Hi,

The noise was not like a normal rattle it had a very definite tick & click. It never varied, always sounded the same not that loud but very annoying. I can't tell you what they did but I think it's an assembly issue with the B pillar seat-belt mount - only my guess. It must have been a know fault as the dealer (Stoke VW) fixed it straight off and it has not returned.

Cheers!

Porage
Can you tell me what was the noise in the B pillar was and how did they fix it .
I ask as i have had my tiguan for a week and i have something rattling in the B piller.
regards
Fullbore

fullbore
06-03-2011, 07:59 PM
:beerchug: Porage
The tig is booked in next week so they can sort it out then.
i guess the sales manager is deaf as he was driving is for the last five months.:biglaugh:

fullbore
14-03-2011, 10:45 PM
well problem fixed. it is a design flaw in the driver door lock which transmitts the noise up into the B piller cavity.
VW have not changed lock mech but packed it with with grease!
mech has not been redesigned yet and apparalently its only with the drivers door that this happens.
100 miles covered and no noise
Lee

PORAGE
14-03-2011, 10:57 PM
well problem fixed. it is a design flaw in the driver door lock which transmitts the noise up into the B piller cavity.
VW have not changed lock mech but packed it with with grease!
mech has not been redesigned yet and apparalently its only with the drivers door that this happens.
100 miles covered and no noise
Lee

:beerchug: Glad you got it sorted :biglaugh: but surely both doors should be affected :confused:

Mind you I think I had only one done and have had no probs :D

fullbore
15-03-2011, 11:22 PM
:beerchug: Glad you got it sorted :biglaugh: but surely both doors should be affected :confused:

Mind you I think I had only one done and have had no probs :D

Apparently only an issue with the drivers side:confused:
80 miles driven today and still no noise.
now all i need is cruise control but will have to wait for the teckkies to sus out the new loom in steering colum:( but thats another thread.
Fullbore:AR15firin