PDA

View Full Version : Question How much power is enough?

bw10030
14-05-2010, 08:23 AM
Hi all: I have a 2008 1.9 TDO (105PS) Fabia 3. Good car, but lacking in that certain something under the bonnet. The car is mostly used for pootling around town, but every couple of months I travel to the Highlands of Scotland where there are some big hills, and limited overtaking opportunities.

I've convinced myself that I need some more power from the engine, but don't want to go overboard and make the car undriveable either in town or on the long cruise element of the trips to Scotland.

So how much extra power would be best to go for? I'm thinking of upping the power to around 130PS or so, which sounds like plenty, will this still keep the car usable? Is the drive train able to take this much increase in power?

Finally, anybody got any good ideas about the best way to go for this - full re-map (my initial choice), or one of those plug in jobs?

Jonny5ive
03-07-2010, 06:37 PM
I think that 130PS is very suited to the fabia. Consider the MK1 Fabia vRS 130BHP(PS) out of the box albeit lowered, 6 speed and a bit stiffer is essentially the same car as you're driving now.

The MkII fabia is more or less a skin job.

Re-map wise, it depends on whether you want to be able to switch it off should you need any warranty work doing ;-)

I run an AmD switchable generic re-map on my MK1 vRS giving a consistent 175 bhp and 290 lb/ft of torque. It has been running this power for 110k miles and I am still on original standard clutch and turbo so I wouldn't fret too much on the drivetrain.

The great thing about a switchable map when in warranty was being able to switch back to "standard" when it went back to the dealer. Revo also do a switchable ma unit STS?

There is loads of info on Briskoda.net remap wise