PDA

View Full Version : new to the right side of the pond

jawsdawg
13-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Hi from another new guy. I'm a long time VW/Audi owner (17 yrs). I'v had a little of everything, air cooled, water cooled, diesel, stock, modified, even the all time biggest POS that VAG ever put on American soil the 1st gen Audi 100 with a 3 speed auto. I currently have a '98 sharan Carat and a 93 golf GT. These two are the first VW's I've owned while outside the US. I am an active duty Air Force enlisted man and have been serving for 15 yrs. I look forward to yet another huge learning experience and from what I've seen here in Germany and my visits to the UK, VW Owners are overall the best to be associated with.

DAVE ROBINSON
17-05-2010, 07:15 AM
Hi ,
I have a 98 Sharan Carat TDi, bought it in UK 6 months ago(live in France 7 years now). I'm very pleased with it generally. Never had a more economic vehicle -- 50+ mpg all the time on the little lanes round here and well over 60 on long runs. I was in the British army many years ago, mostly in Germany and UK, Malta and Cyprus. In the distant past I also had an Audi 5 cylinder petrol , automatic, 1980 model, a very sophisticated car. And a couple of beetles -- one a 1955 German domestic market model, -- cable brakes and a 'crash' , non-synchro gearbox .Different times. At the moment am trying to renew the shock absorbers back and front ( mileage 135K) but front are difficult after 12 years on the road and seized up top nuts. Mine had a German body kit on from new, Projectzwo, looks the part, shiny black with dark windows, but clearance at the front is minimal and when the front shocks are changed intend to fit standard springs as getting on and off ferries at Calais and Dover is a nightmare. Presume you are around Lakenheath ? ( used to work for chemical company, our company rep had his lock-up near Mildenhall) I've caused a problem recently which is annoying .I do all own oil changes and as much as possible otherwise so when 'service' indication came up on dash saw in book can cancel by pressing trip reset, ignition off. ignition on, keep holding, and off again. Only result is I lost the trip mileage facility. Any ideas ? --- Dave Robinson -- 86400 Civray, Poitou-Charente

DAVE ROBINSON
17-05-2010, 07:18 AM
should read yours a bit more carefully -- see now you are in Germany