PDA

View Full Version : Multitronic Gearbox oil

dufferum
12-05-2010, 07:22 PM
Which ATF do I need for my Multitronic?

kenney
12-05-2010, 07:27 PM
ATF for multitronic -G 052 180 A2-, container size 1.0 ltr.

JohnHighfield
12-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Hi dufferum

I have just done mine!

5L of Fuchs TITAN ATF CVT oil from Opie oils.

It was £50.79 including £4.95 for carriage. They give discount for being a forum member & frequently do bank holiday offers & promotions. I didn't get one on this purchase - but have done so on others.

You do need a special anti tamper tool for the filler tube which is like a torx with a round hole in its centre - if you haven't got one (sourced from fleabay); a way of measuring the ATF temp as it has to be at 45C (I have used a digital thermometer blue tac'ed onto the sump in the past - but this time my newly acquired VCDS/Vagcom); and a way of pumping the oil into the box from underneth. I actually set up a gravity feed with an inline tap in the pipe.

Thankfully it all seems to have worked & I plan to change the oil every 20k to avoid the problems well posted on the forums.

So good luck - let us know how it goes.....

John C

dufferum
13-05-2010, 06:41 AM
How will I know when its at the correct level?

JohnHighfield
13-05-2010, 10:21 PM
Hi dufferum - a good question!

You have to fill the CVT box from a filling hole (cylindrical tube like) in the underside of the box. The ATF has to go over the top of the tube - which is probably about 3" / 10cm in length - which is inside & above the bottom of the gearbox case.

I used a 6mm tube - gravity fed from a container suspended from my open bonnet - & pushed the tube up the filler tube & over the top of the filler tube. The 'tube' does however have an end & I had to reduce the tube down with a smaller, (3mm?) more flexible length of tube to squeeze it over the edge against the end of the 'tube'. DO make sure the reduced bit of tube is long enough though so it can't get pushed into the box!

You need to put about 4.5L in & start the car & run through the gear positions - dwelling momentarily - whilst holding your foot on the brake. Keep running the ATF in to ensure its disributed around the box.

You need to monitor the gearbox temp - I used a VCDS this time but used a digital thermometer blue tacked on to the sump my last A6 (Tiptronic) & run the car untill the temp reaches 45C - keep the car running.

By this time the ATF will have expanded & you re-fit the filler plug BEFORE turning the engine off - otherwise it will pour out & you need to start again. I know!

I have attached a couple of links I found usefull - although one is an A8 with a removable sump - which the tiptronic does have but the CVT multitronic not.

Of course the whole thing must be done with the car raised and LEVEL. I used ramps at the fromt & then jacked up the rear & put it on axle stands.

I hope this helps. There is a special vag tool VAS 5162 - but I would be interested in anyone has developed a better way of filling up the ATF than my Heath Robinson pipe. a 3 way valve sounds like it might do the trick if a suitable one could be rigged up.

Incidentally - OPIE oil have just emailed me with a MAY OFFER of up to 30% off which ends next week.

Links:
http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/auto_transmission/autotranservicing.html

http://w.jasp.com/w/images/6/67/CVT_changing.pdf

And the VAG sump tool:

[URL]http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=audi+sump+tool&_sacat=0&_odkw=audi+anti-tamper+sump&_osacat=0&bkBtn=&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313[/URL

Let us know how you get on.

John C

willsan
08-05-2011, 02:15 PM
brilliant , just what i need to know . my A4 1.8t multitronic has just started playing up so I have whipped the ecu out to send away for testing . thanks for the info hopefully I can effect a repair this week

lojiuk
08-05-2011, 02:23 PM
Instead of gravity feeding the oil in, would it not be possible to use a small 12volt fuel pump (happen to have one spare)

One assumes the gearbox will take the whole 5litres of ATF?

willsan
08-05-2011, 08:43 PM
thats what I am going to try too , dont see any reason why it shouldnt work .

marvoman
04-07-2012, 08:20 PM
brilliant , just what i need to know . my A4 1.8t multitronic has just started playing up so I have whipped the ecu out to send away for testing . thanks for the info hopefully I can effect a repair this week
Hi there I am new to this forum and was looking for some advice on removing my ecu for testing. I have an A4 avant 2.5 tdi on a 54 plate with cvt trans and am having some issues with it. I see you have done yours and was hoping you wouldn't mind me asking you a few questions? Let me know If this would be okay thanks Ian

kasitu
23-02-2015, 09:56 AM
I also need help of the type of ATF for A4 2002 2.4 BDV.