PDA

View Full Version : Sharan Temperature Gauge Erratic

julee
31-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Hello there,

I hope there is someone who can help.
My wifes 2001 Sharan 1.9TDI (PD) temperature guage has started playing up.
After a short while the needle registers to roughly half way (normal) then it goes back to a zero reading and then back to normal several times while driving.
It's not overheating and the coolant level is always checked and on "max".

I have seen from other members that the likely fault could be with the temperature sendor unit ?

My question is does anybody know where it is located on a Sharan so I can change/check it ?

Thanks for any help

Neil

bilal aslam
01-06-2007, 09:46 PM
hi the sender is on a a pipe infront of you if you take it out all tee water will drain out you just haveto push it in its easy job thans

1truegeordie
07-06-2007, 06:01 PM
;) Hi, I Had This Problem On My 2001 Sharan And The Nsender Is On The Back Right Hand Side Of Cylinder Head You Get At It Between Battery And Head And Push Clip Down Replace Sender And Push Clip Up

danger mouse
28-12-2008, 02:52 PM
any body have bit more detail on how to change the sensor as ive had a look but cant locate it on my sharan 04 (do you have to remove the battery to get to it)

Mad Lensman
30-12-2008, 01:46 PM
I did this on the Wife's galaxy on Xmas Eve, and discovered to my horror there are 3 (Yes THREE!!!) Temp gauge senders located around the collant system! If yours is the same, then the one that actually registers the temperature that the gauge reads is located on the right hand side of the engine, just in hand reach from above.

Look at the right hand side of the cylinder head, and you'll see loads of hoses going into the top righ thand side (I think this is water pump area or thermostat or similar) There are 2 (TWO) sensors here, the upper one feeds into the ECU someplace and the lower of the two (Just above the gearbox) is the one you want!

Disconnect the cabels - dicky old FORD conenctor here, push the wire clip UP and then PULL the contacts off. You then just need to unscrew the thing, using a BIG socket (24mm I think) and if you leave the cap on the collant filling expansion tank, then only a little tiny bit of water comes out! Stuff a rag in the hole to minimise collant loss anyway and before you rush to fit the new one, connect the new one to the cable that you took off of the old one to remove it and dunk the thing into a pot of boiling water - just to check it works - the temp gauge should rise smoothy - do the same with the old one just to make sure it wasn't a dodgy connection! :o

Once you've tested that, screw the new one back in - NOT murderously tight, a bit of PTFE on the threads helps if you get a minor leak here, and hey presto - Job's done!!!!

Hope that helps!