PDA

View Full Version : factory Jack

evilCdw
11-05-2010, 10:59 AM
I had an occasion over the w/e to change the rear wheel on our '09 Octavia TDi. I used the the factory jack rather than my trolley jack as it was the first occasion to remove a wheel and I thought I would check the eqipment/proceedures out. I was concerned to find that the factory jack lifted the vehicle and was canted over to the rear. Either the jack was too weak or it was poorly machined. I have instructed everone who uses the car not to use the jack at all until it is replaced as I consider it dangerous!

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

BTW there was no fault in jacking it up, it was well located and initially it was vertical until the load was applied. The vehicle was on hard level paving. I tried two lifts and the canting over appeared both times.:(

Clive

Sam
11-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Do a search for "widow maker" in relation to the stock VAG jack.

It is dangerous. I carry a trolly jack myself.

evilCdw
11-05-2010, 02:06 PM
I couldn't find any reference to the factory jack?

Sam
11-05-2010, 02:30 PM
I missed out the all important word "Google" before "....search for..." sorry

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?275725-Widowmaker-strikes-again& (fruity language warning)

http://www.vr6oc.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?284847.0

It's notorious for collapsing under load and at the wrong time.

evilCdw
11-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Thanks Sam, I found it. I hadn't realised that they are so infamous. Surely this is one for VOSA recall or at least an HSE investigation? I had heard that VAG have a special denial department to deal with any criticism.:( Interestingly, I read recently that the merchantable quality provision in the Sale of Goods Act has no time limit on when to claim in relation to a defect. So if the jack was found to be defective outside of warranty then the SofG Act still applies and the car supplier must cough up for a replacement. If we all did it it might focus VAGs corporate mind?

My jack definitely lifts sideways so it is defective and therefore a warranty item.

Clive

Sam
11-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Part of me agrees that there's a problem that should be addressed but a larger part of me knows the jack design has remained largely unchanged for as long as I've owned VWs.

I know for sure my first VW (a 1986 Golf) had practically the same jack my newest VW (a 2001 Passat) has. I'd go as far to say that my Beetle (1972) had the same jack too.

If there really was an issue, one would hope it would have been addressed already?

vwcabriolet1971
11-05-2010, 06:06 PM
I've had most models of VW since the aircooled days and the only problem I experienced was the bay window transporter jack ( Westfalia camper model ) and this was due to the high position of the jacking points ( tilt problem).
It is essential that the jack is used in the correct position on the laterday models as only a relatively small length of the sills is reinforced for the jack and that the jack is correctly located on the sill. Sometimes the marks on the sills to indicate the jack position are not that obvious due to the thickness of the unsealant used in this area. This is one area that VW could make an easy improvement. I must have used a VW jack on the water cooled cars 100s of times without problems . However it is not completely "fool proof" in that you can't simply throw the jack underneath the car and start furiously cranking the handle . American owners used to domestic large cars with jacking points built in to the bumpers are particulary loud in the codemnation of the VW jack.
I always use two pieces of 4"x 2" to support the underside of the jack .One piece if the car is on soft ground ( i.e. car is low with flat tyre ) or two pieces if car is on firm ground. This effectively reduces the jack height and any tendency to tilt. My drive has fair slope but this has never been a problem.
Incidently the old classic aircooled Beetle jack was unique ( Monkey on the stick design for older members or sealant gun design for younger members ) and can be used as clamp or pusher with a little imagination .

evilCdw
14-05-2010, 12:59 PM
I had an Audi 80 2.8 that had a similar jack (I've still got the jack) that is reasonably stable. the problem with the Octavia's jack is that as it goes up it cants over so the the centreline of the lifting pad is on the edge of the footplate, which means the car is very unstable fore or aft depending on which side of the vehicle you lift it. I might temporaily swap it with the Audi one although the lifting pad is slightly different.

Thanks for all your comments

Clive

sparrow
07-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Had my '05 Octy collapse off the jack when changing rear wheel (front wheels chocked, level, firm ground etc.,) - It was a real slow-motion thing as I watched the top of the jack gouge its way into and almost thru the sill! Absolutely horrifying to think that this can happen in the 21st Century!!:aargh4: