PDA

View Full Version : Brake pad light

fulcrum111
10-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Audi A4 2003 1.9TDI.

Was driving on the motorway to work one day last week when traffic started breaking. I hard to break hard and stopped ok, then after releasing the brakes and driving off the brake pad warning symbol on the DIS starting flashing and has continued to do so every day since.

I've checked the pads - all 4 have plenty of meat left on them and the discs appear to be ok. Haven't taken the wheels off for a closer look as yet.

Has this happened to anyone else? Could it just be the sensor on one of the wheels has been dislodged or something? I assume the fault can't be cleared with vagcom? Yes / No?

Any advice appreciated!

Avant4me
10-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Have you checked the connections between the leads and the wiring loom? The VAG clips that hold the plugs together are notorious for breaking, which can result in a dodgy connection. I get a periodic brake pad warning which goes away the next time i start up. this will be my first check once its place in my ever growing todo list comes up!!!

RickT
10-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Have you checked the connections between the leads and the wiring loom? The VAG clips that hold the plugs together are notorious for breaking, which can result in a dodgy connection. I get a periodic brake pad warning which goes away the next time i start up. this will be my first check once its place in my ever growing todo list comes up!!!

The connectors are rubbish and do work lose..

Take the wheel off, unclip the warning light wire, clean the connection and re-connect on both sides.

Rick

fulcrum111
10-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Thanks Lads, I'll have a look at the weekend!

Cheers. :beerchug:

DBSK
11-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Mine came on a few weeks ago as well, took the senso off, and no diffeence, howeve i took the wheels off and the inne pads ae alot moe won, hence why the waning came up.

Apologies fo the pants post, one of my buttons has stopped functioning if you couldn't tell! :aargh4:

fulcrum111
12-05-2010, 08:38 AM
Thanks DBSK. I'll have a look at the inner pads when I take the wheels off. I assume the front brake pads wear more than the rear? I'll start with the front wheel anyway!

If the inner pads are worn but the outer are not, do you need to change both inner and outer or is it safe just to change the inner? I assume you do both!

Appreciate the help!

DBSK
12-05-2010, 05:17 PM
Thanks DBSK. I'll have a look at the inner pads when I take the wheels off. I assume the front brake pads wear more than the rear? I'll start with the front wheel anyway!

If the inner pads are worn but the outer are not, do you need to change both inner and outer or is it safe just to change the inner? I assume you do both!

Appreciate the help!

Yes the fronts will wear quicker than the rears. It will be the front wheels as the rear wheels do not have the brake pad sensors.

If the inners have worn then you will need to replace all four front brake pads, 2 inners and 2 outers, but they arent expensive so i wouldnt worry.

You may also have to change the front discs depending on how worn they are too.

:beerchug:

fulcrum111
31-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Just to resurrect this thread with my findings. I checked all the brake pads at the weekend. I have between 6 and 7mm of brake pad friction material. all round, both inner and outer on the front and also on the rear, so I know my brakes are ok. The electrical connections are secure and in place. I didn't disconnect and reconnect the electrical connections as they looked fine and I didn't want to cause any other issue.

I couldn't find anything else out of sorts.

Anyone got any other ideas why the brake pad light might be on?

Any advice appreciated!

RON MOODY
31-05-2010, 11:17 AM
The front pads have a wire link molded into them which eventually wears through at about 6mm left on the pads. If you take the pads off you will see the ends of the link shining through the pad material.
Why don’t you try undoing the connectors and short out the two pins on each of the leads going into the car’s wiring loom this should make the warning lamp go off and so prove that the pads are past it.

JohnyIre
31-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Did the front pads on mine last week. I got no warning light, only the sound of metal to metal. There was no wire on the old pads and no where to plug in the new wire. Though they all came with that harness?