PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Sharan loss of cooling fan

andrenb
09-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Hi,
Hope everybody is well in VAG land.
Would be very grateful for some help/advice on a Sharan which seems to have darkened my doorstep with a/c not getting cold, due to cooling fan not working.
The vehicle is a 55 plate TDi 130, I have absolutely no information that matters, ie wiring diagram, component locations, principle of operation etc.
I do have a fault code of 18080: Cooling fan control 1 open circuit or short to ground.
On the 4 way connector at the fan, there is permanent live and earth on the two large terminals respectively, and an earth on one of the smaller terminals, which changes to a live with ignition on, whilst nothing at the other smaller terminal until ignition on, then becomes earth. The smaller terminals seem to be controlled by a relay behind o/s of dash, its condition seems ok.
I should also mention it is a single fan only.
Have tried a brand new fan, suspecting old unit burnt out, still nothing.
As I mentioned, my biggest problem is lack of info; is there a seperate control unit for the fan? If so,where is it located? Or is it integral to the fan? Are there resistors on the fan unit side of the wiring? Should the two smaller terminals be powering up with ignition on? Location of all relevant fuses/relays?
Sorry this is so long, just trying to give as much info as i can think of.
If anybody out there has come across this at all, I would be very grateful for any feedback.
Many thanks.