PDA

View Full Version : stiff gears,

debjohn
08-05-2010, 06:21 PM
hi yesterday i was slowly moving in traffic and thought i was in second but i was in fourth and stalled with a thud i got it started again and now the gears are stiff especially reverse, anyone know any ideas, software said i had an engine mount prob last year but i ignored it as did not know which one, it never said ,

Crasher
08-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Are they the same with the engine not running and the clutch depressed? Is it five or six sped and which engine?

a8 tech
08-05-2010, 07:38 PM
the lining will be braking away from the plate or initial grease leak from the dmf contaminating the lining and reducing coefficient of friction (clamping force)
additional, reverse holder drops into the box restricting reverse gear

debjohn
10-05-2010, 06:53 PM
hi everything was fine gears were excellent till i stalled it so i wouldnt put it down to wear on the clutch which is relativly new, was wondering if a damaged engine mount could do this, as according to lap top i had a damaged mounting but chose to ignore it as it felt ok, the gears are the same with engine off, if engine was slightly out of line cos of mount would it do this,

SWARCUP
11-05-2010, 10:52 AM
hi there

In the past i have suffered engine mountings breaking and it does affect your gear changes, the symptoms i suffered where it wouldnt select 1,3 and 5 or 2,4 and now 6. also as the engine had dropped slightly the exhaust scraped on speed bumps. From what you say the mounting could well have failed causing the linkage to be out of alignment

debjohn
11-05-2010, 06:47 PM
hi all, just to add, that when engine is turned off the gears are fine someone asked earlier and i said they were the same but have since checked and they are nice and easy, all of them, even reverse, so they are only hard to engage with engine running, any ideas anyone , bearing in mind they were great before i stalled it, thanks