PDA

View Full Version : Any clever Vw mechanics out there?

steven842
08-05-2010, 09:39 AM
For over 3 months now my sharan has gone crazy ,no indicators a fuel guage going up and down for no reason beeps when I brake handbrake and abs lights up no speedo etc.

I've been told by my cousin it's the multifunction control unit so I bought from eBay what I thought was a user manual which I can't seem to get to work as it seems to be a copy of the garage software .

Is there any mechanics out there that have delt with these units before?
Does a passatt have the same unit and if so are they interchangeable like most ford parts would be ?
Where is the multifunction control situated?

Thanks steve

the_old_diver
08-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Could you start by telling us which model / year / version of Sharan you own, and what is the title of the product you bought? Thanks OD

steven842
08-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Total forgot to include that it's a 2003 1.9tdi 130 carat model
the cds requires a mass of information to be installed on the computer I think it's it's called vag com it came with 5cds and the instructions say I have to register as a john Nolan ... Defenatly a scammed version

Steve

the_old_diver
08-05-2010, 09:08 PM
OK - I won't comment on the 5 cd matter. VAG-COM is the old name for the diagnostic software now called VCDS that you can download in a free version from http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/download/

Anyone wishing to try to do DIY mechanics on a modern VW needs it running on a laptop plugged in to the diagnostic port. All else is futile.

The software runs on your laptop and needs a special USB to car cable; mine cost about £16 a couple of years ago.

However, animal cunning can also help, and if you spent as many hours as I did googling and scouring the forums like this one and TDI-Club you will read that "Sharan gone crazy" is often linked to water leaking from the engine compartment to the "well" under the front passenger seat, where there is a box of electronics that controls some of the items you complain about. There is a drain pipe behind the battery - approximately - which gets blocked with leaves and stuff and then the water finds its way into the well, fills it up, wets the electronics box which then goes ape.

Stage One - look for that box and check if it is wet or shows signs of corrosion. If so, try to dry it and correct the blockage.

If the items described are not where I say they are, come back and ask for better info.

Hope this helps. Sharan owners deserve help. It seemed like a good concept :-)

OD
1997 Sharan CL 1.9 TDi 49 mpg 212000 miles.

the_old_diver
08-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Steve - "Does a passatt have the same unit and if so are they interchangeable like most ford parts would be ?"

There are many different Passats. If you are familiar with Fords, then you may already know that the VW Sharan, Ford Galaxy and SEAT Alhambra were initially (1990's) almost identical. I don't know when they started to diverge.

The Multifunction unit, in case I wasn't clear, used to be under the front passenger seat. Your mileage may vary.

steven842
08-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Guys thanks for the help ,the battery in my sharan is near next to the front headlight , are you guys talking about the older version of sharan/galaxy/Alhambra ?

All sharan owners need help I must of been mad to buy this car I would of been better with a passatt me thinks

Steve

matthewgdavies
09-05-2010, 08:47 AM
Passats suffer exactly the same problems with drowned ECUs - fitting them under the seats probably seemed a good idea at the time.
To be fair the Sharan/Alhambra/ Galaxy are pretty sound cars but do suffer from a few recurrent problems and judging by the number of people on here with queries on 97/98 cars are generally pretty long-lived. Many French MPVs of similar size and age have long since been deservedly turned into bean cans.
Whilst checking for water under the seat also lift the front passenger footwell carpets to check that the rear screenwash pipe joint has not come apart as this can also cause flooding (if it has it needs supergluing and a couple of tiny jubilee clips to fix it for ever) - there is plenty of info on here (and also on Fordgalaxy.org) about how to clear the under bonnet drain holes = also look for leaf debris around the bonnet hinges

the_old_diver
09-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Steve, if these cars were 100% reliable this forum wouldn't exist; I am here because I enjoy owning them and keeping old things going.

You will know exactly which type of multifunction unit you have when you find it because it will be written on the outside. This will occur about 30 secs after you discover whether it is flooded or not.

If you have a flooding problem it will probably catch more eyes if you start a new thread called "Flooded Electronics Help! - 2003 1.9tdi 130 Carat ", and then ask how other sufferers dealt with it.

Cheers OD

vondubz
19-05-2010, 04:16 PM
bud you sound really knowledgable any ideas on why my n reg sharan vr6 keeps going through alternaters:aargh4:

Sam
19-05-2010, 04:30 PM
I am here because I enjoy owning them and keeping old things going.

I got married for the very same reason :approve: