PDA

View Full Version : Rusty Hubs

Sportwag
07-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Rear hubs are starting to show signs of rust- has anyone tried to treat or repaint these?

Crasher
07-05-2010, 10:36 PM
You mean the disc bells? I use a rotary wire brush and then aerosol zinc paint which I wipe off the pad swept area with solvent.

ALP77
07-05-2010, 10:46 PM
when i have had to clean discs up ive wired brushed them with a small wire brush similiar to a toothbrush ( a small file is great for more stubbon rust) then used a brush on satin black heat paint which gives a tidy look imho,

hth al

ALP77
07-05-2010, 10:56 PM
you can also do the outer edge and down in the vented area a bit if you use a small paint brush, :)

im hoping to give mine a tidy, along with cleaning the wheels over the weekend if i do ill add a pic :)

ScottyUK
08-05-2010, 10:17 AM
Are your cars not painted like this ?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul_scott/2010_A4_disk1.JPG
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul_scott/2010_A4_disk2.JPG

johnvw
08-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Scotty UK.
Beautiful, I am collecting my first A4B8 in a week or two. I plan to do something similar, possibly colour the caliper.
The casting quality of the caliper is very poor, the Benz are loverly.
Any tips on brush/aerosol paint and preparation. I may be able to purchase something similar in Aust.
Regards
john

ScottyUK
08-05-2010, 04:04 PM
You've misunderstood. That's from the factory. I've not done anything :D

johnvw
09-05-2010, 11:11 AM
O/K ScottyUK,
Obviously a lot of care taken. Now for the secrets and tips ????
What wash/solvents do you use to remove brake disc dust from inside wheel and caliper ??
Do you prep your rims so as to minimise dust adhesion.
I promise not to share your secrets.

Beautiful presentation
Regards
John

Sportwag
09-05-2010, 06:13 PM
That's from the factory. I've not done anything :D

Mine were like this too (for about two months)....but 8,000 miles and one (hell of a) winter later and now they don't look so good.

Parked beside a 2.0T yesterday and it looked worse!

ScottyUK
09-05-2010, 06:20 PM
That's a worry. We're low mileage (about 6k a year) so to think ours will go that way is a concern.

The car's filthy right now but I'll try and get shots next time I clean her. Admittedly it won't be as clean as my pics as that was done quite early on ... oh and by someone else as I don't actually like glossy tyre trim!

<confession over> hehehehe