PDA

View Full Version : AIRCON .....Again.

Rexer
07-05-2010, 07:15 PM
I've been having trouble with the aircon, i had to let all the gas go when i took the dash out to do the heater matrix.

Since then i had it vacumed out and re-gassed but it doesnt't get cold.
I have vagcom and it was showing a couple of fault codes, one went away after the re-gas (pressure switch)
left me with two fault codes, G191 centre vent temp sensor and V71 recirculation flappy thing.

I had plugged the wrong lead in to the G191 and now thats sorted, i took the pollen filter out and pushed the flap down by hand and now thats sorted.

I now have no fault codes at all but still no cold air....

Any more suggestions ?

Oh and it was over 15 degrees outside while testing so should have got cold

I can see on vagcom that the compressor clutch is working and also i hear a slight engine note change when i switch it from ECON

Nick

caldirun
08-05-2010, 12:39 PM
I've been having trouble with the aircon, i had to let all the gas go when i took the dash out to do the heater matrix.

Since then i had it vacumed out and re-gassed but it doesn't get cold.
I have vagcom and it was showing a couple of fault codes, one went away after the re-gas (pressure switch)
left me with two fault codes, G191 centre vent temp sensor and V71 recirculation flappy thing.

I had plugged the wrong lead in to the G191 and now thats sorted, i took the pollen filter out and pushed the flap down by hand and now thats sorted.

I now have no fault codes at all but still no cold air....

Any more suggestions ?

Oh and it was over 15 degrees outside while testing so should have got cold

I can see on vagcom that the compressor clutch is working and also i hear a slight engine note change when i switch it from ECON

Nick
Pushing the flap down will not cure V71 problems, the climate control will try to move it when you start the engine and throw the alarm back up, this will not stop the air con from working though. Check the centre boss on the compressor pulley, is it turning when you select Auto and Cold, is the interior fan running up to full speed?

Rexer
09-05-2010, 09:45 AM
I know it wont fix th V71 butit did remove the fault code, it made a lovely cracking sound when i pushed it down so i dont think it will get moved again now.

Will take the under tray off and see if the compressor is spinning but i'm sure i can hear theengine note change when its on, i can hear the relays click.

The fan works perfectly and at full speed

Silly question but on the rad there is two fans, one viscos and the other is electric. is the electric one for the aircon?

caldirun
09-05-2010, 02:58 PM
I know it wont fix th V71 butit did remove the fault code, it made a lovely cracking sound when i pushed it down so i dont think it will get moved again now.

Will take the under tray off and see if the compressor is spinning but i'm sure i can hear theengine note change when its on, i can hear the relays click.

The fan works perfectly and at full speed

Silly question but on the rad there is two fans, one viscos and the other is electric. is the electric one for the aircon?
yes is it not running? BTW, you can see the boss turning if you look down with a torch from the top!

Rexer
09-05-2010, 03:09 PM
yes is it not running? BTW, you can see the boss turning if you look down with a torch from the top!

I'v not noticed the fan kicking in, will go and fire it up now to check.
Will look at the compressor at the same time.

Cheers bud.

Rexer
09-05-2010, 03:44 PM
UPDATE!!!

Still not bloody working, the compressor is spinning, the fan is spinning, still no cold air.
Its 10.5 degrees outside so not that, if it was below 5-6 degrees then i'm sure the compressor wouldn't be kicking in.

I'm now at a loss as everything is working as it should and it SHOULD BE GETTING COLD GRRRR

Any more ideas?

caldirun
09-05-2010, 05:29 PM
UPDATE!!!

Still not bloody working, the compressor is spinning, the fan is spinning, still no cold air.
Its 10.5 degrees outside so not that, if it was below 5-6 degrees then i'm sure the compressor wouldn't be kicking in.

I'm now at a loss as everything is working as it should and it SHOULD BE GETTING COLD GRRRR

Any more ideas?
Who re-gassed it, have they done a proper job, you can still get pressure without the correct amount of refrigerant.

Rexer
09-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Who re-gassed it, have they done a proper job, you can still get pressure without the correct amount of refrigerant.

My wifes uncle is a refrigiration engineer. he brought the gauges and vac pump, even brought the sniffer to check for leaks. he said that there was spot on the right amount of gas in there,

Surley if there was not enough gas in there it would be picked up by the pressure switch and stop the compressor engaging and throw a code?

He gassed up my old pontiac firebird and as soon as the gas started going in the compressor kicked in and took the right amount, with this car it took the gas as he vac pumped it first, the compressor kicks in just fine.

Rexer
14-05-2010, 09:19 AM
I'm begining to think the compressor is screwed, I got to do the cam belt soon so will take it off and look at it then. Hope the weather doesn't get too hot before then.....