PDA

View Full Version : Question Dodgy gear linkage?

Matt_1990
07-05-2010, 05:15 PM
Hi all, I have a 1998 A3 1.6 with a 5 speed manual gear box.

It seems to me that gears aren't quite set up properly because in 1st gear the gear stick is vertically upwards and in 2nd the stick is so far down it almost touches the handbrake (same in 3rd and 4th gears). Also when you accelerate in 5th the gear stick jumps and almost comes out of gear. Any ideas are much appreciated?

Thanks,

Matt

towcestervag
07-05-2010, 07:24 PM
carry out adjustment
unlock cables under bonnet(threaded)
lock gearchange in place with pin in selector shaft/box(small 90degree pin located at base of linkage wiggle gearchange up and down and it will push in)
inside car at base of gearstick there is a hole in gearstick and mounting
use small screwdriver about 4mm diameter and slot into hole and line up in base hole
shouldnt be straight
once this is done then relock cables
release the pin in linkage under bonnet
and remove screwdriver
adjustment should be ok

Matt_1990
07-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Thanks for your help, I'll look into it.

Matt_1990
08-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Had a look at the Haynes Manual and I can't do this as 1.6l models have a 02K type transmission and these require "precisely machined jigs to set the gearchange lever in a reference position". Does anyone have an idea on cost to pay a garage to do this?

thanks

towcestervag
09-05-2010, 10:40 PM
you dont need special tools
loosen clamp for gearchange under car
with car in neutral the lever should sit in line with 3rd/4th and central in upright posistion
when this is acheived then when 1st gear selected there should be a 2mm gap to edge for reverse detent
and if gearchange isnt perfect then you can carry out fine adjustment
loosen 2 bolts at front of gearlever to get the gap correct

Matt_1990
12-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Hi there, didn't get a chance to have a go at this myself. I had a problem with my gearbox and a broken linkage which has lead to this being fixed in the process. Thanks very much for your help