PDA

View Full Version : looking for an A6

j_mat_j
30-05-2007, 08:38 PM
Hi all,

I am looking for an a6 estate, the shape in the picture. they either comes in 2.0 or 2.6, what are they like in reliability and running cost? what are the common problems and what should i pay extra attention for when viewing? any known engine or gearbox problems. I prefer a manual will also consider an auto if the car is good, so, are the auto box reliable, does it cost alot more to run?

thanks

http://i24.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/a0/ee/4125_1.JPG

Niall76
31-05-2007, 02:02 PM
Don't get the 2.6 - get the 2.8. And make sure it's a quattro too. Also, get the manual.

My work here is done

Lex Luthor
31-05-2007, 03:01 PM
There is a nice 140BHP 2.5 diesel.....

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/data-detail.aspx?deriv=10149

j_mat_j
31-05-2007, 09:45 PM
Don't get the 2.6 - get the 2.8. And make sure it's a quattro too. Also, get the manual.

My work here is done

is it purely for the better performance and handling? I am really after something trouble free and cheaper to run. are the 2.6 and 2.8 engine pretty much the same apart from larger capacity? or are they completly different?

Niall76
31-05-2007, 10:27 PM
2.8 is not the same.

It's a 30 valve V6, just under 200 horses in standard form. It also returns pretty good figures considering the size of the engine and car. I regularly get an average 33mpg and that includes a bit of fun along the way.

It pulls like a train and will go to the wrong side of 150mph easily (I have official proof from our countries finest). It's very very comfortable. Go for leather, I have the sport seats in the front and they're great. Loads of room in the back - the kids love it. Mines a saloon and the boot swallows everything for our family of 5 so the avant will be HUGE.

As for quattro, man it's brilliant. I don't think I'd get anything else now. It keeps the power down and in the rain/snow/poor conditions it's brilliant. It's also an amazing handling car rounds the bends for being so large, long and heavy. It's no lotus but it kicks the pants right off most things with ease.

Auto boxes are for grandads man, plus they eat quite a bit more fuel.

Now go get one.

Undercover
31-05-2007, 11:07 PM
Fella over the road has the 2.8, he manages an average of just over 23mpg. He nearly cried when I said I was getting over 50 (1.9 tdi). Leather is lovely, but the cloth trim isn't too bad either, lovely cars to be in. Comfortable, fun, great stereo - especially mine, with the six disc changer, and the subwoofer in the boot.

The Avant is a whopper, no doubt about it.

Niall76
01-06-2007, 06:13 PM
23! that's bad. Sounds like an auto or a lead foot to me.

I have a mate who has an RX8. Lovely car but even if he drives like a grandad he's still has to better 22mpg.

buster
04-06-2007, 10:52 AM

Oi!! I resemble that remark!

They do eat a lot of fuel though, but then so does the quattro.

If you are looking for fuel economy, get the 1.9TDi manual. They are really very good and will probably surprise you.

If you want some fun get the quattro 2.8 at 197bhp, or even the 2.7T at 230bhp or a later one at 250bhp.

The 2.6 is a 12 valve which is even less powerful then the 30V 2.4.

Mine is a 2.7 T with the 250 motor, auto and quattro. I get 26 in normal driving which includes town driving and 30+ on a trip down Yorkshire's biggest car park (the M1).

I get 20mpg on LPG though - which is nice :biglaugh:

gazza57
04-06-2007, 12:49 PM
2.8 is not the same.

It's a 30 valve V6, just under 200 horses in standard form. It also returns pretty good figures considering the size of the engine and car. I regularly get an average 33mpg and that includes a bit of fun along the way.

It pulls like a train and will go to the wrong side of 150mph easily (I have official proof from our countries finest). It's very very comfortable. Go for leather, I have the sport seats in the front and they're great. Loads of room in the back - the kids love it. Mines a saloon and the boot swallows everything for our family of 5 so the avant will be HUGE.

As for quattro, man it's brilliant. I don't think I'd get anything else now. It keeps the power down and in the rain/snow/poor conditions it's brilliant. It's also an amazing handling car rounds the bends for being so large, long and heavy. It's no lotus but it kicks the pants right off most things with ease.

Now go get one.

Now Niall 76 I just know that you happen to have a 2.8 and it just happens to be manual, and apart from the fact it's on your avatar, how do you think I knew that?
Because everybody has the best car in the world in their own eyes..me included!
I have a 2.7t Biturbo Quattro 250 BHP with an auto/tip box and a grandad's car it certainly ain't!
It'll leave most cars in rubber smoke especially with the ESP off, the fact is with most motors over 200bhp with manual gearboxes you'll find yourself eating clutches unless of course you drive like...a grandad!
I can get through the box in Tip mode as quick as any manual and as far as the fuel goes, granted around town I only get 27.5 mpg but up and down the M3 I get 32mpg. So taking an average of between 27.5 and 32 that comes out at 29.75mpg around 3.25 mpg less than the manual 2.8, but hold on... what am I saying???????? only grandads talk about fuel consumption don't they?
Gazza 57

Niall76
04-06-2007, 05:57 PM
heh heh! You knows it.

He asked how much they cost to run though - only letting him know.

I'd have bought a 2.7turbo if I could have found one.

Next though - thinking about a supercharger for it.........one day, one day......

tut_gareth
04-06-2007, 08:25 PM
i just got myself a 2.5tdi quattro avant and though not 2.8 quick, they dont hang about and i'm getting 45mpg out of it.

its a large car but it certainly don't handle like one.

i'm very impressed with it. :D

alfapseud
04-06-2007, 09:55 PM
Is the car in the picture not a 100 / early a6- look at the headrests....

there was a nice s6 for 5k for sale in April's Audi driver...

I think those were a 5 cylinder turbo 2.3...

ss

daver1a
04-06-2007, 10:10 PM
Audi Avant 2.5 TDI, auto, 2001

90,000 miles in the last 3 years. Great accelleration. I've never reset the fuel computer and it shows 37.8mpg over that time. They're a great car - go for it!

gazza57
05-06-2007, 12:40 PM
I laughed my head off at your response niall, well done you're of course right I am 50, a bit of an old git yes, but not a grandad!

gazza57
05-06-2007, 12:41 PM
I laughed my head off at your response niall, well done you're of course right I am 50, a bit of an old git yes, but not a grandad!
Always up for a laugh!
Gazza57

Niall76
06-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Always up for a laugh!
Gazza57

Laughed at which one - all of them :biglaugh:

hehe - seriously though - there's a supercharger out there made for the 2.8 - sounds like a larf.

Undercover
06-06-2007, 02:19 PM
seriously though - there's a supercharger out there made for the 2.8 - sounds like a larf.

This one?

http://www.superchargersonline.com/product_detail.asp?PartNumber=PES-2830VSC

Steveclaire
03-07-2007, 10:28 PM
Hi all,

I am looking for an a6 estate, the shape in the picture. they either comes in 2.0 or 2.6, what are they like in reliability and running cost? what are the common problems and what should i pay extra attention for when viewing? any known engine or gearbox problems. I prefer a manual will also consider an auto if the car is good, so, are the auto box reliable, does it cost alot more to run?

thanks

http://i24.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/a0/ee/4125_1.JPG

Hey OP,

I bought a 2.6 today and although it's not hugely quick, it's more than capable. I'm told that the auto will average around 25mpg.

Incidently, I paid £500 for mine, so you don't have to spend a fortune.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/SteveClaire/CIMG0844.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/SteveClaire/CIMG0843.jpg