PDA

View Full Version : Question Thinking of buying a 1.9tdi touran

Buzzoff
06-05-2010, 05:36 PM
Hello people I'm thinking of buyong a 1.9tdi touran for my wife to do the school run and to use as a holiday transport.

What do I need to look out for problem wise on this model?

We are looking at buying a 1.9tdi 105bhp jobbie, do they suffer from turbo problems and is this engine prone to cam sharft wear problems (like my previous Audi a4 tdi 130).

Any advice on this model will be fantastic seeing we know nothing about the VW Touran.

Cheers,

Dan

nickfrog
08-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Just privately bought a 06 black SE 1.9 with 39,000 miles for £8,000 which I thought was good.

My main concern is the recurrent ESP/ABS fault due to water ingress in the BS pump. Apparently, if VW service history complete, VAG may fix on goodwill even after the warrany has expired. Having had brake fluid changed every 2 years as per VAG instructions may limit the chances of the pump going...

I have had 5 cars using that block over the past 15 years and never had any issues.

mrobert
22-05-2010, 06:04 PM
I've had a 1.9tdi since new (06) and have done over 60,000. I love it although I don't do any city driving living in the countryside. Note that VW expect you to use Longlife oil.

The ESP/ABS fault occurred prior to the end of the warranty so got the pump replaced for free. My understanding also is that VW will fix this if there is a full VW service history. If I was buying a second hand Touran which hadn't had the pump fixed, then I'd want to incorporate the cost into my offer whatever the history.

The only other significant problem has been a broken spring last week.

I have a 7-seater which makes it a really versatile people mover. The removable central row of seats means that you can get large volumes of stuff in - great for moving my daughter in and out of uni hall. It came with no spare (just a repair kit) but I bought a spare on eBay for £50 for piece of mind, but never needed it yet (carrying it is a pain, but I use an elasticated web to hold it behind the central seats.

I get about 46 mpg but take every opportunity to hypermile and minimize breaking.

Not the most exciting car to drive, but I do consider a really safe, solid and comfortable car to transport a family long distances.

Mike

Buzzoff
24-05-2010, 05:39 PM
That is sound advice, thanks Mike.

It's looking like the wife wants to get a newer Polo now (well that's what she has decided today).

Fingers crossed what ever we get will be as good as our current "R" reg 1.4 Polo.

Cheers:beerchug: