PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 TDI Clutch life

davewelch
30-05-2007, 08:33 PM
I have an 02 A6 2.5 TDI sport with 6 speed manual box, mileage 107K Full Audi history.
It is in having a gearbox bearing replaced. The mechanic doing the repair says that the clutch is looking a bit "burnt" with alot of dust about and is offering to replace it for an extra £200. When driving it previously the clutch appeared fine. Unfortunately he's not the regular guy I use so I don't know if this job really needs doing. I know alot must depend on driving style but what mileage would you expect from a clutch? Does £200 sound fair?
Thanks
dave

Lex Luthor
30-05-2007, 10:40 PM
At 107K I would have the clutch replaced as a matter of course if the gearbox was removed.
Check the price of the clutch at GSF.
With the box off a pro will change the clutch in less than 1 hour.

davewelch
01-06-2007, 02:44 PM
OK Thanks for the advice

melecerties
02-06-2007, 02:18 PM
Over and above having the clutch replaced, I would replace the clutch release (thrust) bearing and consider replacing the pressure plate (ask a professional for his advice on that).

The thrust bearing would cost only a few tens of pounds at most, the pressure plate about the same as the clutch. The guy who is doing yours is probably quoting for clutch (driven) plate, pressure plate and thrust bearing.

The labour charge for replacing the clutch parts seperately is much the same as the gearbox work, why not spend a few quid and save much expenditure later.

Geoff

tut_gareth
04-06-2007, 08:33 PM
the clutch in my 2.5tdi quattro has done 198k with no problems. so 107k isn't bad for a clutch atall