PDA

View Full Version : Question Terrible MPG after new turbo fitted ?

fastbikes76
05-05-2010, 09:54 PM
Hi guys,

i have always had poor mpg since we bought the car a year ago..drove it nearly 200 miles home and only just touched 40 mpg on the motorway trip home. Slowly its dropped to about 33-36 mpg on a decent run.

About 3 weeks ago i replaced my intercooler as the old one was leaking very very slightly in the corner. Mpg increased back to high 30's and even up to 42 at one stage. I also found the EGR vacuum pipe had split and come off, so i refitted it.

I fitted a remanufactured turbo last week as the seals in mine died and poured oil into the intercooler big time. So i replaced the turbo, took off all the IC pipework and IC, gave them a good clean and flush out with brake cleaner. I also cleaned the MAP sensor with brake cleaner as it had a bit of oil on it. I did NOT clean the egr though.

Since i did the above, my overboost issue and oil dumping was cured BUT immediately i noticed the mpg goes up very slowly and struggles to see low 30's now. Generally 32 ish. Car is pulling well and everything is connected as should be.

Disconnected the ERG vacuum pipe tonight and it came back at 42.9mpg. I have just ordered a new MAF for it as i know they are common as nuts to go wrong and i had some spare money to spend so thought for the cost of one I may as well replace it anyways.

Any tips for such poor mpg ?

Ps all figured above were quoted on the same trip done twice a day every day, so the trips were consistent.

Cheers
Elton

:beerchug: