PDA

View Full Version : Radweld and Bars Leaks - do they work?

VWSmudge
04-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Hi all,

I have what seems to be a minor leak from my radiator and I'm considering using Radweld or Bars Leaks to tackle it.

Just wondering whether anyone has used these products before and whether they've worked?

All advice gratefully received.

Car is a 2005 Passat 1.9 TDI.

snapdragon
04-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Bars Stop Leaks is just unrefined sugar and sugar beet (unless they changed it), I wouldn't want the bits is it to clog waterways. Maybe the thick liquid ones are better?

PeteK
04-05-2010, 03:42 PM
I personally wouldn't use either on a modern vehicle, they may cause a blockage internally in the engine cooling system or radiator. Leaking radiators are quite common on Passats and it would be best to get it replaced.

996jimbo
20-05-2010, 11:30 AM
I've used Radweld previously - it worked and I had no problems at all.

dib
22-05-2010, 02:04 PM
I used Bars Leaks on my 1.9tdi pd when the rad had a leak 5 years ago. It was changed at a recent cam belt service so it did about 60k with Bars Leaks in the system and there have been no ill effects whatsoever. It works so don't worry about it.

STEWY L
22-05-2010, 02:12 PM
i used similar stuff on my daughters rover once, and unbeknown to me,so did one of her friends.
it blocked the holes in the head gasket and cracked the head.
it went to carcraft two days later--
regards,
stewy.

b197ony
26-05-2010, 09:31 PM
best off trying to locate a 2nd hand or new rad (dependant on your budget) and fitting that as ive also heard of bad experiences with rad weld and the likes blocking waterways and ending up costing a lot more in repairs than a new rad would have cost