PDA

View Full Version : 2.6 V6 oil strainer

chris.r.
03-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Hi folks,

I am trying to remove and clean the strainer of my oil pump (it is actually an A4 B5). Maybe you know how can I access it?

So far I took off the oil pan/sump and now am stuck. Do I have to take the whole pump out just to access the strainer? Do I need to remove the cambelt for this too? :confused:

I heard a strong ticking noise the other day that disappeared after 10 seconds (car stood for 2-3 days) and shortly after the oil light came on briefly.

Oil level is 100%. Mileage is 158.000km.

Cheers...

Peter D
05-05-2010, 04:11 PM
I doubt it is the strainer, It is more likely to be the anti drain back valves but I need your engine code that is on the ID label in the boot ( 3 Letters ). Regards Peter

chris.r.
05-05-2010, 04:30 PM
It's the ABC engine, hope that's what you needed? It is an A4 B5.

I changed the oil and (the stuck!!) filter and a test drive showed no problems so far.

Cheers...

Peter D
05-05-2010, 04:39 PM
From what you have describe you have an ABC Generation II engine. This engine does not facilitate the easy or obvious removal of the Oil Strainer. If you leave the car 2 or 3 days and the tapping returns then the oil retention valves(2) need changing. Regards Peter

chris.r.
05-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Thanks Peter, I'll keep that in mind. Not sure what the gen 2 engine is. I have the 2 valve engine.

Never mind, as long as one can see from the "outside" that a strainer is dirty without taking the pump out, then I did have a clean strainer after all ;)

Chris