PDA

View Full Version : Wind noise

theoc
03-05-2010, 04:15 PM
I know this has been discussed before........but has anyone had any luck with the dealer fixing this. I have an annoying wind noise at over 50 from the drivers window. Any tips or remodies gratefully received

ibbotsonf
12-05-2010, 01:46 PM
Bit of a long winded one here....I posted the original entry saying I was experiencing the problem. I left the car with the Stoke VW dealer who took it out and then took one of theirs out to compare. They said they could hear the wind noise with mine but not with theirs. They couldn't see anything amiss with the seals. They said they'd raise a "DIS" on VW (suppose a DIS is a fault report) to see what they advised. I heard nothing for weeks until the car had to go in for something else. I asked them to see what VW had come back with. They didn't say but I was told they took my car out again and this time compared it with TWO other cars and all exhibited the wind noise (funny that, as previously their other car hadn't). They told me the seals were all OK and that it was probably a feature of having a frameless door.
Not being satisfied with this I then went to the Crewe dealer and asked to take a CC out for a test drive. Got it up to 70mph and not a peep of noise from the door! Booked my car into Crewe and went out with one of their technicians - he drove. He picked up the noise as soon as we hit 50mph. I left the car with them for the day. Apparently they checked the seals etc. and again could see nothing wrong. Two technicians apparently took it out again and the one in the passenger seat said he could also hear the same sort of wind noise coming from that side as well! The head honcho told me he was going to raise a DIS. I told him Stoke had already done that. He came back to say he could find no trace of a DIS being raised against my car by Stoke on the VW database - great eh. Not holding out great hope I was surprised to get a call the next day saying VW had responded and the problem apparently is the rear window not being fitted correctly which causes turbulence - hence the seals all looking OK. Car is booked in to the Crewe dealer next Monday. Will let you know how it goes.

eob
13-05-2010, 09:34 AM
He came back to say he could find no trace of a DIS being raised against my car by Stoke on the VW database - great eh.

Thanks for the update, I would definetly be interested in the outcome as I have a little wind noise at motorway speeds. I was willing to live with it but.....:rolleyes:

You make an interesting point in the above quote.
I'm not saying that VW dealers are shysters, but I had an issue with a creaky clutch which was seen three times before a DIS was apparently raised with VW. The service guy even said "Don't worry if you don't hear anthing for a while." Translated as "Don't keep phoning me!"
I got a call from someone at the same dealer sometime later wanting to book my previous co car in for a service. I got her to update my details with the new car and she asked if there was anything else. I explained the problem with the new car and told her about the DIS. As you can guess, no record of the DIS was found so to avoid embaressment, my car was booked in for a new clutch pedal the very same week!

ibbotsonf
13-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Regarding dealers - I suppose there are some dealers better than others. After I'd been out with the technician from the Crewe dealer, they got their courtesy car driver to take me home. I asked him what sort of area he covered and he told me they picked cars up from as far away as Liverpool & Manchester. Asked him why folk didn't use a nearer dealer and he reckoned the Crewe dealership had a really good reputation. My experience so far with them has been very positive and if they sort out this wind noise on Monday (which has been driving me barmy since I had the car last December), they have a customer for life.

theoc
13-05-2010, 08:25 PM
interesting feedback. I was also going to live with this but hopefully you will get a result. Please let us know the results

ibbotsonf
18-05-2010, 10:28 AM
The saga continues....dealer had the car yesterday and did whatever VW suggested with rear window / rear doors - and it didn't make a jot of difference apparently. They then took the door handle off, taped up the door and window but the wind noise was still there.

One of the guys then did a bit of lateral thinking and worked out that the problem was air coming in at the bottom of the door, getting into the interior of the door through the two drain holes and exiting at the top through a seal that, when closely examined, was slightly off true.

They then did some sort of Heath-Robinson fix by wedging some packing in around the seal and took it out again for a spin - result!

Usual problem - the seal that needs to be replaced is not in stock and is now on back order. They had to take the temporary packing out so the car is still whistling whilst it works, but the encouraging thing is that they have found the root cause of the problem.

I'll let you know how it goes when the replacement seal is fitted.

ibbotsonf
25-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Car had a new door seal fitted yesterday. Travelled up the motorway today and not a hiss to be heard. Result! Technician at the dealers said that it had taken them significant time to suss out what was wrong when the car went in a week ago, but from their point of view they now know where to start looking if someone else comes in with wind noise problems. The seal in question apparently had the minutest kink which meant it was not fitting flush with the door.

Would suggest that if your dealer gives the same response I got from the Stoke dealership - it's a new car, you get teething troubles with new car designs etc., you get them to give the Crewe dealership a bell to get the lowdown on how to fix it.

The wind noise has been driving me potty for six months and spoiled my enthusiasm for the car. Hopefully I'm now about to start enjoying it as I should have been from day 1.