PDA

View Full Version : Immobiliser????

jaybee2429
02-05-2010, 08:17 PM
hoping someone has had a similar problem, got a knock on the door to tell me the alarm was sounding on my 06 sharan, and when i used the key fob to turn off the alarm the starter turned over, no key in the ignition at this stage. I put key in ignition and motor wouldnt start, I then pressed alarm button again and it started fine , however when I removed key from ignition starter motor turned over again and alarm sounded, I reset alarm with key and disconnected the battery . local garge said it was faulty starter, have replaced and still same problem.any ideas???

the_old_diver
03-05-2010, 01:26 PM
I would suggest getting your money back first for the unnecessary new starter, and then ask them what fault codes are showing on the diagnostic system. My feeling is that water may have affected the electronics but your car is so much newer than mine that I can't say much more.

If you have a secondary electronics box in a "well" under the front passenger seat, check that it is dry.On my model they fill up with water from a blocked engine compartment drain pipe. Srsly :-)

Repair by substitution is a very expensive process, much better to get a proper professional computer diagnosis by an experienced engineer. OD

jaybee2429
03-05-2010, 07:09 PM
thanks for reply, even with my limited knowledge thought it might be an electrical fault, but like most people you tend to trust the "professionals" I live in the highlands of Scotland and my very small local garage doent have the equipment to diagnose so will probably mean trip to nearest main dealer
thanks again for help

the_old_diver
03-05-2010, 09:52 PM
I'm on the Black Isle - where are you?

jaybee2429
04-05-2010, 01:40 PM
to the north of you,between Brora and Helmsdale

the_old_diver
04-05-2010, 02:00 PM
A bit too far for me to be of any assistance with my VAGcom. It really sounds like a "water in the electronics" problem to me, and if you can find out where that unit is you might be able to dry it out at no expense. There are plenty of way of spending money unnecessarily on a VW, however I have not heard of a starter motor kicking in before as this usually means energising the starter relay which I did not think was under ECU control. Have you looked at the starter motor area for clues like burned wires, lost or loose bits, tools etc?

Was it raining or had you been through a river before the car went ape?

If you have a laptop computer the £15 or so so a diagnostics cable together with the free version of the software can save you zillions. I think the cable would cost less than the diesel to Hawco.

Hope this helps. OD
PS I worked on the renovation of West Garty Lodge back in the days of steam...

jaybee2429
04-05-2010, 02:17 PM
have read a couple of posts about water getting into the ECU which I think is supposed to be located under pass seat, am away from home at minute so will be looking there and will also follow you suggestions, but as you say the wierdest thing about all of this is the starter motor kicking in without key in ignition ,obviously meaning power has to be getting there somehow, engine doesnt start as no fuel is present which made me think of immobiliser
thanks
will post further if I solve this.

the_old_diver
04-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Just thought it would be worthwhile to mention that the immobiliser isn't the ECM which also isn't the thing under the passenger seat!

On my 97 Sharan CL the immobiliser is a metal box visible if I hang bat-like from the steering wheel and stick my head between the pedals, then look upwalrds onto the bulkhead. From memory is was about 4" x 4" x 1" and just out of reach.

The thing in the well under the passenger seat is the "Comfort Control Unit" which controls the not so important things like windows, locks, heating / air con etc.

According to my Haynes, which is for the Ford Galaxy since Mr Haynes apparently gave up on the Sharan, the ECM or Electronic Control Module is located behind the instrument panel. I have never looked for it myself. This is what people call the ECU or Engine Control Unit.

Myself, I would start with the thing under the seat, its simpler. OD

Elevensie
07-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Did this ever get sorted? I'm having trouble i suspect with my comfort control module. It is not under the seat. I have a 1999 Seat Alhambra.

Here's the problem: Windows go down. Can be stopped halfway by pressing up (so up is definitely working on all 3 front door switches). Windows can not be brought up. Windows can be brought up by putting key in external lock and holding in lock position.

Anyhoo... Anyone know where, apart from the footwell, that the module can be?