PDA

View Full Version : Side light and indicator/hazard problem

Jock Doc
02-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Hi All,
Hoping someone can help here....

My wife's just returned with our 2002 VW Passat 2.0 pertrol estate complaining of a buzzing noise coming from the car. Checked and found that the buzzing appears to be coming from the relay behind the Hazard Warning switch !!

Now to complicate things further - an examination of all the lights I find that the side lights on the nearside are not working (front and rear) ??

Checked bulbs and fuses (altho I didn't suspect a fuse for each side of the car) and these are fine.

I have noticed a slight 'electrical buzz or crackle' coming off the indicator stalk when choosing to turn left or right but it's short lived and self resolving. In fairness this could be coming from the relay and I've never noticed as it only last 1 second...

Here's my thoughts....

1. Can it be the indicator relay on the hazard switch that's causing both problems.... ? and/or;
2. Can it be the indicator stalk as this also controls the parking lights...?

Just to clarify the indicators are working fine - so is the right side parking lights, whether being controlled from the light control switch or by placing the parking light on via the indicator stalk.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give ;)

dib
02-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Many threads on here about this. Before spending any money try this: Remove plastic cowl around steering column - 2 small screws - aim the straw on a can of WD40 in all the holes around the base of the indicator stalk whilst moving the stalk up and down. This washes away the grease build up that gets contaminated with copper dust over time and causes a short across the contacts. It has recently worked fine for me and others, it's worth a try. Good luck!

Jock Doc
02-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Cheers for that !!

How I never managed to find the other threads on here is beyond me...!! :confused:

I'll give that a go and see how I get on.

Thanks again

:beerchug:

Jock Doc
02-05-2010, 06:53 PM
Right.... I've tried the suggestion given. No change... If anything I'd say the relay sounds worse and the only way to stop it is to turn the indicators/hazards on !!

Nearside positions lamps still not working either....

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

martin1810
02-05-2010, 08:11 PM
You may need a new relay. Also have you got or had wet passenger carpet

Jock Doc
02-05-2010, 09:17 PM
Thanks Martin,

Re the side light problem I removed the fuses again and tested them. Albeit not clear to the visible eye one of the fuses (No 23) was blown. Now replaced and lights working !! One problem down....

I agree I think I'll need either a nre relay or indicator stalk to fix the issue with the buzzing relay. The indicators all work fine and the buzzing stops as soon as the indicators/hazards are activated .... I'll get one off ebay for around a tenner :)

Re the carpet... Yes had that problem before.

I checked again today and while slightly damp I checked all wiring to CCM. All in order included the manufacture splices !!

Dried out again and all replaced so I'm happy for not that it's not that !

I'll order a relay and get back once fitted.

Cheers mate :beerchug:

Jock Doc
02-05-2010, 09:19 PM
I take it the relay is incorporated within the hazard switch? I'm presuming that's the case as the whole thing buzzes like mad !! Only stops once disconnected!! :aargh4:

kite
03-05-2010, 09:50 AM
I take it the relay is incorporated within the hazard switch? I'm presuming that's the case as the whole thing buzzes like mad !! Only stops once disconnected!! :aargh4:

Correct

dib
03-05-2010, 11:08 AM
If the relay sounds worse after the WD40 treatment it is likely you have dislodged some of the contaminated grease. I would give it another go and after protecting the carpet and surrounding area, really drench the contacts through ALL of the small holes at the base of the stalk. It can take a while for the grease to dissolve. I think if it was the relay you would get either eratic or nonexistent indicators sounds / lights.