PDA

View Full Version : Water in Passenger Footwell

Paulpro
30-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Just been giving the A6 Avant 2.4 (W) a clean inside folowing a holiday & found the passenger side wet through. Thanks to the Forum I remembered the old problem of the drainage holes in the engine compartment bulkhead getting blocked, so I decided to investigate. I was shocked to find about 3 gallons of water in there & had to syphon it out to get to the mud & leaves at the bottom. What a foul mess ! One of the plugs was v. difficult to get to so that I could drain out the rest of the water. I eventually managed it; its all clean & tidy now and the car's dried out. Everything works. Thanks again to the Forum :Blush: However, I'm now worried about the Climate Control Condensate drain pipe getting blocked as well. Its happened before & the dealer charged £90 to sort it out. This also drains into the pasenger side when blocked. Does anyone know a quick way of getting to the pipe(s) so that it(they) can be cleaned out before the problem starts again ? Presumably its algae & moss that causes the blockage ? :(

A6_JAck
09-06-2008, 01:21 PM
About darinage holes how many are there?

I've aslo found the carpet completely wet soaking wet after the big rain we gad last week open, and I check the hole underneath the battery tray and it was clean.

But when I washed my car on Sunday some water ended again in the passenger footwell. Is ther an other draining hole?

Cheers

paul b
09-06-2008, 05:16 PM
About darinage holes how many are there?

I've aslo found the carpet completely wet soaking wet after the big rain we gad last week open, and I check the hole underneath the battery tray and it was clean.

But when I washed my car on Sunday some water ended again in the passenger footwell. Is ther an other draining hole?

Cheers
There is another one by the brake servo.

Paul

1299cc
25-06-2008, 01:42 PM
The problem on my A6 avant was traced back to the gap around the pollen filter. For about a year everytime there was heavy rain the passenger footwell was soaked. By sealing around the pollen filter area with mastic it is now 100% sorted.

A6_JAck
25-06-2008, 01:50 PM
I think it the issue with mine

What did you do exactly?

Did you put a bead of silicone around the filter and it curred it?

Cheers

Jack

1299cc
25-06-2008, 02:13 PM
I think it the issue with mine

What did you do exactly?

Did you put a bead of silicone around the filter and it curred it?

My mechanic (who is even tighter than me took an age to find the source of the leak checking the battery box etc cleaning out the trays etc etc. To cure it he said he sealed around the filter housing with mastic/silicone and 6 months later no leaks at all.

mluton
25-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Water leaks are a PITA, I had one which was from a poor weld seal on the wing from manufacture, took me weeks to find out the source and lots of water entering the car.

On repairing the seal, I sealed other areas of obvious leak in case of future water ingress problems.

shabazmo
25-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Reference the aircon condensate drain pipe. I found that it was the heat shield under the car causing the drain flap to stay closed. Just pulled the heat shield away from the flap.

golfflyer
04-03-2009, 10:23 PM
2002 Audi A6 Avant, water in the front and rear passenger footwells. As per previous messages, checked drains under servo and battery, all ok, seal deteriated on pollen filter so have sealed up, but problem persists. Trying to find the evaporator/condenser drain pipe now, plus any other drains I don't know about. Have found a quarter inch plastic pipe exiting from drivers side lower wheel arch area which is then 'p' clipped to the floor area for another 4 inches or so. Part no. 4B0 201 994 B. Could this be the drain pipe I'm looking for? Alas it appears to be clear, but cannot find it on ETKA to confirm. Only found out about this problem as I was running the wires whilst installing headrest DVD's. Would like to totally remove carpet to properly clean and dry, but this seems no quick job either. I have most of it free, apart from a section going under the footwell vent, just by the airbag ECU. Any pointers anyone?

Mike.

shabazmo
04-03-2009, 11:52 PM
Trying to find the evaporator/condenser drain pipe

In my 2002 car the drain pipe is in the passenger side. Stick you head in the passenger footwell looking towards the rear of the centre console. You should feel a tube which has a foam washer. This gets wets and drips water. It should only happen if aircon is on. So probably not the problem if your aircon is off in winter.