Golf gt
01-05-2010, 06:21 PM
it here golf gt
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/curtitbmx/car.jpg
:biglaugh:

macmillions
01-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Good looking car there mate.
Many people may be split on the alloys, but I think they certainly suit the colour of yours.
Hope it treats you well. :beerchug:

SC03OTT
01-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Looks good. I was never a fan of the alloys, but I saw a red GTD with them today and it looked fantastic.

What's the full spec?

Keithuk
01-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Looks good. I was never a fan of the alloys, but I saw a red GTD with them today and it looked fantastic.

What's the full spec?
No I hate alloys. They are the most over rated expensive addon you can have and you can't choose which alloys you like.

Now he's had it I'm sure he will post the spec in his signature. ;)

Golf gt
02-05-2010, 12:12 AM
Hate is I bit strong hub cap belong in a museum:(

james_tiger_woo
03-05-2010, 10:46 AM
Me, I think they look nice on a white GT too :)

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_dhNvt8h5OeE/SeMfPa7yvmI/AAAAAAAAB8c/X79-NxVidy4/s800/Golf2.jpg

ETA - Woohoo - 2000 posts :)

dataconn
03-05-2010, 11:07 AM
These wheels are a break from tradition. They are more Gangster than the traditional spokes.

slowhand
03-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Personnaly I prefer wheels with thin spokes, the fewer the better.

If VW had done a set of 5 spoke gun metal greys I would have had them, instead I just stuck with the standard GT wheels until I can find a nice aftermarket set when the tyres are worn out

I don't see how you clean inside those slotted moon discs, so you end up with the inside all corroded from brake dust

Keithuk
03-05-2010, 03:29 PM
As I've said I hate alloys but I do like wheels you can clean easily. Luckily mine aren't too bad you can get a sponge in between the slots without having to buy a bottle brush. Goft gt's wheels slots look about the same size as my small slots so it shouldn't be too bad. ;)

HHGTTG
03-05-2010, 04:22 PM
As I've said I hate alloys but I do like wheels you can clean easily. Luckily mine aren't too bad you can get a sponge in between the slots without having to buy a bottle brush. Goft gt's wheels slots look about the same size as my small slots so it shouldn't be too bad. ;)
I am with you on this, if you actually mean you hate alloys and not just THOSE alloys which I happen to think are truly ugly.
Funnily, I'm quite happy with my standard Atlanta ones as they are relatively easy to keep clean. However, I realise the 'lads' here like their expanse of alloy in those wheel arches with minimal depth of rubber between the lower rim and the road surface - ugggghhhh!

I have heard all the arguments about them being lighter (they're not, are they?) and that manufacturing lead to a more perfect circle and better radial balance etc. but a good old steel wheel with a hub cap is SO much more easier to keep clean and any worries about kerbing aren't so great as a new hub cap solves everything.

Keithuk
03-05-2010, 05:13 PM
I am with you on this, if you actually mean you hate alloys and not just THOSE alloys which I happen to think are truly ugly.

I have heard all the arguments about them being lighter (they're not, are they?) and that manufacturing lead to a more perfect circle and better radial balance etc. but a good old steel wheel with a hub cap is SO much more easier to keep clean and any worries about kerbing aren't so great as a new hub cap solves everything.
No I hate alloys generally for long service. They might look nice but thats the only advantage. Yes they are a bit ligher but they aren't as strong as steel. For the same physical size steel is stronger than aluminium. After a few years you will get the tyres loosing pressure slowly this is due to errosion of the alloy where the tyre bead sits.

Yes the other big problem is kurbing. They maybe low profile tryes but they have very little protrution on the side wall. Once they get scuffed it will take a lot of work to smooth out. I don't thing the balance has a lot to do with it you can still balance them easily but you have to use the stickon weights.

Out of balance come in two categories, static and dynamic. Static is where the heaviest part of the wheel and tyre come to rest due to gravity. Dynamic is when the out of balance acts on two different plains. Wheels have three plains because of their width, the inside, the centre and the outside are all different plains. When one of those is out of balance that will make the steering wheel shake from side to side at around 40mph

When you balance wheels and tyres you put the dynamic weights on the outside of the wheel and the static on the inside of the wheel. Because there isn't much room and obviously you will see these weights on the outside you have to put the dynamic weights on a plain just inside of the wheel edge.

I had some tyres fitted on my previous cars that had alloys on. When the guy balanced them he said I will put all the weights on the inside so you can't see them. No you will put the weights were the machine is telling you where to put them I want it balanced properly. I had to explain to him the principle of balancing wheels. ;)

Golf gt
03-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Alloys are like that I no what you mean went down a pot hole in my last car and the wheel buckled on the inside 330 for new wheel and tyre if I kerb these wheel they will be f?cked

HHGTTG
03-05-2010, 07:15 PM
Alloys are like that I no what you mean went down a pot hole in my last car and the wheel buckled on the inside 330 for new wheel and tyre if I kerb these wheel they will be f?cked
I'd like to start a organisation for reverting to steel wheels on all cars, only offering alloys at a very expensive optional extra for those who want the trouble of owning cars with them.
As our already awful roads deteriorate even further, I think the time has come for a big rethink by the manufacturers of forcing us to have alloy wheels as as standard fit.

However, I suppose, why end there? Auto headlights, auto wipers and electronic handbrakes et.al. come to mind.

Golf gt
03-05-2010, 08:21 PM
This is why this car is for my wife I like driving my land rover series 3 1982 big tyres steel rim no drivers aids just drive 4 gears there are to many gadget on new cars