PDA

View Full Version : On line gaming

onemanparty
01-05-2010, 05:36 PM
Now I have always liked computer games, I remember my old Atari back in the late 70's - But I could never understand on-line gaming.

Well fast forward to 2010 and I am addicted to Modern Warfare 2 - I have found I have been playing on-line for 7+ days :eek:

Anyone else got a soft spot for on line gaming and what do you play

Me at the moment

Foza 3
MW2

tlionhart
02-05-2010, 03:16 PM
yes exactly the same game! Especially as the PS3 version of online gaming is free. More people are encouraged to play online. I have a good internet connection, good t.v and sound system so I make the most of it. If you got a ps3, feel free to add me. Same username as on here.
Before online gaming never appealed to me, until COD:4.

turbine2
04-05-2010, 08:41 AM
Mostly, Eve Online. Have done other games in the past though (Unreal, Test Drive Unlimited, air warrior many moons ago).
Trouble I have now is time.

Eshrules
04-05-2010, 09:38 AM
I seem to suffer from some variation of ADHD nowadays. I used to be able to sit an entire weekend out playing online, but that was back in the days of unreal tournament and Quake 2 (sometimes a bit of cheeky counter strike).

I'm lucky if I can get through an hour nowadays :(

Clinterous
04-05-2010, 03:05 PM
I'm hooked on online gaming. However, only played the same game - called Planetside - for the past 5 years. Tried going back to single FPS, but find AI so boring now in comparison.

SammoVWT
04-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Ive been quite the gamer in the past I have a huge list of games I used to and sometimes still play:

Quake
Quake 3
Unreal Tournament
BF1942
Halflife
Counterstike
Counter strike source
Z/Z2
Syndicate wars
Doom
COD:MW 1
CNC:RA
CNC: Tiberian Sun
CNC: RA2
CNC: Ganerals (Still undefeated :D)
CNC: Tib sun 2 (forget the name)
Need for speed
Racedriver: grid
Eve-online
Planetside
Neocron - worst game ever made
Also the superhero/villain one for about a month
Halo!

plus a bunch more i have forgotten.

World of warcraft - Currently playing

Welcome to the world of online gaming :>

Chappers
04-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Counter strike/source is the only game ive ever stuck with, tried a few others but always go back to CS, Played online but being the wrong side of 40 with not so sharp reactions was getting peeved at constantly getting my backside kicked by 14yr olds :aargh4::aargh4::aargh4: so play by myself in a dark room :1zhelp: 'Roger that'

Paul :beerchug:

Ben
04-05-2010, 09:36 PM
i've only played online since i got the wii. mario kart is the game.

Eshrules
04-05-2010, 10:54 PM
Ive been quite the gamer in the past I have a huge list of games I used to and sometimes still play:

Quake
Quake 3
Unreal Tournament
BF1942
Halflife
Counterstike
Counter strike source
Z/Z2
Syndicate wars
Doom
COD:MW 1
CNC:RA
CNC: Tiberian Sun
CNC: RA2
CNC: Ganerals (Still undefeated :D)
CNC: Tib sun 2 (forget the name)
Need for speed
Racedriver: grid
Eve-online
Planetside
Neocron - worst game ever made
Also the superhero/villain one for about a month
Halo!

plus a bunch more i have forgotten.

World of warcraft - Currently playing

Welcome to the world of online gaming :>

oh, come on.. I thought you said online games. not half ***** attempts.

quake 3 was a complete and utter let down imho, Q2 set a precident never to be surpassed.

Unreal tournament, I'll give you, they seemed to move it on well with each release - cheap to pick up now too, although I'm not sure what the server availability's like?

As for C&C - now you're talking sunshine ;) I got the first run, with the red and green add ons (red alert and counter strike?), tiberian sun was my next love, but it lost most of it's appeal to me, when it started moving forward graphically.

I'm disgusted not to see Dune, or any of it's followers in that list, btw!

with the mmos - I've tried EVE, but found it to be a very very complicated version of homeworld, I'm man enough to admit, I spent half a day trying to figure out how it worked and gave up. Far too long winded for me :(

SammoVWT
05-05-2010, 09:12 AM
I preferred quake online over q2, and q3 was just a railrocket fest, love it! :D

I did play dune, but the first one, no online connectivity /cry

and omg esh, homeworld, awesome game, i played 1 & 2, i was quite advanced on eve, had a couple of dreadnaughts before i quit, and a maelstrom (angel cartel) battleship for pirating people in!

Edit: Also forgot worms armageddon, ahh how i wasted many hours at uni playing this online! (And battlefield 2, also another excellent game)

Sam
05-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Online PC gamer here, can't quite get to grips with the 360 pad in FPS games

BF1942, BF2 (and various mods), BF2142, BFBC2

CoD 2, 3, 4, 6

Quake, Halflife DM, etc

PFJones
05-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Oh god I am a big gamer, fascination with PCs and games consoles started from a young age.

Half life was my first real introduction to online gaming and since then I havn't really seen the need in single player games or game modes because there is no achievement in beating AI for me, satisfaction comes from competing against people.

Notable games for me would be, Ghost Recon games, Modern warfare 1+2, World of warcraft(This game had me hoocked for a long time I have a played time of 200+ days on one character, thats like half a year sat IN GAME.), Splinter Cell Games, Halo games.

At the moment I play EvE Online and Fifa10.

Scott

SammoVWT
05-05-2010, 12:04 PM
Warcraft has me now, great game, i used to play eve hardcore, but it took to long to get a satisfactory return with the super laggy fleet battles - i mainly do pvp, no challenge in beating AI

PFJones
05-05-2010, 12:05 PM
with the mmos - I've tried EVE, but found it to be a very very complicated version of homeworld, I'm man enough to admit, I spent half a day trying to figure out how it worked and gave up. Far too long winded for me :(

Eve is complicated but alot of the time it is made even more complicated by the fact most people don't complete the tutorial, I'd also recommend joining a newbie Corp as that way if there is something that confuses you you can then just ask and people will help or give you advice.

I know what you mean though at first glance you look at it and it's like, where the hell do I start?

This Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq2oxt7Nrxo) pretty much sums EvE up though, You get out of it what you put into it.

Scott

Eshrules
05-05-2010, 12:20 PM
I preferred quake online over q2, and q3 was just a railrocket fest, love it! :D

I did play dune, but the first one, no online connectivity /cry

and omg esh, homeworld, awesome game, i played 1 & 2, i was quite advanced on eve, had a couple of dreadnaughts before i quit, and a maelstrom (angel cartel) battleship for pirating people in!

Edit: Also forgot worms armageddon, ahh how i wasted many hours at uni playing this online! (And battlefield 2, also another excellent game)

everybody seems to forget homeworld, I thought it was an incredibly advanced game for it's time, the 3d rotation system blew my mind. Along similar (sort of) lines, ever tried startopia? I've wasted hours on that game.

as for worms - that game, a LAN and beer = perfection

Online PC gamer here, can't quite get to grips with the 360 pad in FPS games

BF1942, BF2 (and various mods), BF2142, BFBC2

CoD 2, 3, 4, 6

Quake, Halflife DM, etc

^^ he's the guy to talk to about BF2 :approve:

SammoVWT
05-05-2010, 12:22 PM
I beta tested EVE with no tutorial, it was a long long learning curve, however I had the advantage when eve went live. Once you master the basics, you pick the rest up as you go. Training is the most annoying part when you switch skills or learn filler skills so you dont have to get up at 4am to swap one over :D

Very in depth game, very good, but a slow burner - not much instant action and a lot of waiting about.

But when the action happens, its generally very good, the fact that you can pirate people makes the game all the better, actually being able to steal someones cargo/modules is nifty.

I dont really have the time for it anymore, needs to be more pick up and play so warcraft has suited me well.

Also with homeworld, the first one had a cracking storyline - actually felt worth finishing. Also own startiopia too, thats a fun one. I think its john cleese who does the voice, or someone who sounds like him at least

SammoVWT
05-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Drunk counterstrike was good, take a unversity block, LAN it up, all play drunk, one guy gets a shield and pistol, the other 15 get big rifles, and go hunting :D

Hilarious fun, stab stab stab!

Sam
05-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Drunk counterstrike was good, take a unversity block, LAN it up, all play drunk, one guy gets a shield and pistol, the other 15 get big rifles, and go hunting :D

Hilarious fun, stab stab stab!

Drunk PR (BF2 mod) ranks as my all time favourite game.

The seriousness of it all, the need for concentration, time work, coordination, silence...etc. Then me, off my face, team killing my squad, taking a jeep and driving off the other side of the map....happy days.

In AIX (another BF2 mod) (and CoD4) Esh has a trick where he'll follow you, silently following your orders and pretending to be working with you. As soon as you find a nice spot from which to capture your objective, he'll fire a few rounds near you so you crap yourself and leap up to try and defend against the non existent enemy.

All you then hear is him laughing as he stabs/shoots you - then you know he's had enough and he'll shortly be making his excuses to leave.

Eshrules
05-05-2010, 02:00 PM
this is quickly turning into a bromance thread, but here's a video of us pulling our zipline trick

http://www.xfire.com/video/79ce8/

emzipoo4u
21-05-2010, 07:24 AM
I love COD too !! My xbox live subscription has expired and i've been trying to have a couple of weeks off so i dont get too addicted lol

In the past i've played world of warcraft and warhammer online which were both really good, however after reaching the top level i find these kind of games a bit pointless.

ricbw2
16-06-2010, 03:20 PM
I wish I had the time to play online, I did try Street Fighter 4 some time ago and winning, strange considering I had only 4 hours of using it.

onemanparty
24-06-2010, 05:28 PM
12+ days and counting now on MW 2 - God knows what I will do once the new COD game comes out!!!

sharalaxy
04-08-2010, 10:29 PM
I play Grid and love it much better than the old Toca I used to play.

onemanparty
04-03-2011, 07:49 PM
Black Ops 6 days and counting. I have to get a life!!!

PFJones
11-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Old thread now but :) Battlefield has always kicked cods ****, (the rockets hitting walls that just scorch, come on) anyways cant wait for the new Battlefield 3 mod packs, first one is due out tomorrow, any more Battlefield players in ??

AidenUK
29-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Counterstrike. :notworthy

Gwilo
03-07-2012, 11:11 AM
I was a massive fan of the Jedi Knight series. Many a saturday and sunday night was spent playing online with five mates.4 solid hours was a regular thing. They usually ganged up on me, as I was the dirty little sneak who grabbed the rocket launchers and blasted them all.:biglaugh:

Dr_Watson
08-09-2012, 05:24 AM
If anyone takes there online racing seriously, or at least is pretty good and does'nt want any wreckers online, check out Race2play.com There are loads of races with rFactor and Race 07 series.