PDA

View Full Version : Please Help EPC Light & engine stall

Rlilleyman
29-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Would appreciate any pointers please on an intermittent issue that is now very frequent.
2003 A4 2.0 FSI developed engine cut while moving and EPC light. Always restarts straight away with no EPC light. Will be fine for several weeks and then cuts out again. Code read is 'fuel pressure out of range' and 'excess NO2'. I've changed the fuel filter and it's no better - in fact the car will only go a few hundred yards between cut outs now and is a devil to restart. I have to leave it a couple of minutes before trying to get it to start at all. Seems to start fine when cold but goes back to the same cycle when up to temperature. Had the same issue 4 years ago under warranty but Audi can't find records of the parts fitted. I'm hoping it's not the high pressure fuel pump on the cam - I can't even see the torx screws that hold it on never mind get a tool onto them or even get my hand in!!

Any help out there? :aargh4:

Crasher
29-04-2010, 01:18 PM
It is 50/50 whether it is the lift pump or the pressure pump, I do the lift pump first as it is cheaper.

Rlilleyman
30-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Just got a new lift pump from TPS & it has 3 hose connectors on the top but my old one has only 2. Is this correct - do I just leave the cap on the 3rd one or have they supplied he wrong part?

Crasher
30-04-2010, 10:35 PM
What is the part number and make of the pump you have been supplied and the part number of the pump in the car? If the identified it by chassis number it will be OK. I have PM’d you so you can send me your reg so I can confirm the number.

Rlilleyman
01-05-2010, 07:03 PM
TPS matched the part no from the reg. The new pump is identical apart from the third connector which has a loose tube with another connector for what looks like an auxiliary suction pipe clipped to the main green one inside the tank. When I asked them about it they said there is an optional blanking plug for the third connector which I went back and bought (could have done with that information when I bought the pump). The new pump was a bit fiddly to fit through the aperture but went in after a struggle. Fingers crossed all seems well now. Occurs to me that having discovered that the warranty repair from 4 years ago was the same pump at half the current mileage (Audi UK eventually got the part info) - this is yet another example of routine poor engineering from Audi to go alonside ther crappy water pumps, oil pumps and airbags - amongst numerous others. I've had enough and decided never to buy VWG again - over priced and under engineered. Plenty of uninvited mail about new cars, but never a note about revised water pump change interval meant catastrophic top end smash up last year that cost more than £3000 to rebuild. Thanks to Crasher for interest and help.

:zx11:

Crasher
01-05-2010, 07:14 PM
I am afraid that no matter which marque you go far it is the same, many of these parts that fail are made by outside suppliers and those same suppliers make parts for other cars. Even Toyota isn’t immune.